Beautiful Eyebrows | Teen Ink

Beautiful Eyebrows

By FreakyEyed DIAMOND, Juneau, Alaska
FreakyEyed DIAMOND, Juneau, Alaska

"This, too, will pass."

When she was younger,
She skipped class and played truth-or-dare
In the woods with her cousin.

She jumped rope and won little competitions
About beauty and style…
She trimmed her eyebrows;
Obsessively,
Until one day, out of frustration,
She shaved them off.

It took her months to grow them back,
But when they did,
They were thick and lush;
Beautiful eyebrows,
She had…

She married a bad man
Who beat her
And strangled her birds with
The golden-handled jump-rope
She won in 10th grade.

When he did, she didn’t cry.
She just stared---
Nearly numb, except for the frown
That furrowed
In between her beautiful eyebrows.

I normally hate this type of poems... they're too intense for me. But I gave it a shot anyway.

HumeraThahur SILVER, Yanbu Industrial City, Other

If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep.

Beautiful, just beautiful! Great job, you had me smiling at the end.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Wow, you practically slapped me in the face. This was really nice! I don't know why you thought this was intense-overkill, but honestly it was dramatic yet very to-the-point. I loved it. I also love how the focus is her eyebrows. It's quite peculiar and reminds me of myself a little... I have to ask, though, whose POV is this from? Who would focus so much on eyebrows when this girl clearly has so much other stuff going on? I'm under no circumstances trying to be sassy, I'm genuinely curious. Overall, really cool. It's chilling.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I'm not sure why I haven't commented on this before, even though I always see it in the top spots every day. Regardless, I think it's wonderful. You should be very happy you wrote despite being as you say "intense" for your taste. It is emotionally intense. But you summed the life of many girls who live awful lives like this. First, they're princesses to the public; but their real lives are nightmares. It's sad but it happens all the time. Very well written. I like the imagery. Keep writing stuff like this. 

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

jw, whats your inspiration for this? It's so gorgeous and unique, this kind of writing has to come from somewhere.

Skyset GOLD said...
Skyset GOLD, Goddard, Kansas

"Use what talents you possess. The Woods would be very quiet if no birds sang there except those that sang best."
--Henry Van Dyke

Excellent! I was especially moved at the part with the birds. You have some real talent, keep in up!

HiddengoldTee SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Procrastination was created to give you time for the things that you'd otherwise have no time for"
-Me

This poem is so full of emotion. it makes me remember the feelings of being frustrated by something small while really there is an underlying hurt. Great poem!

FreakyEyed DIAMOND, Juneau, Alaska

"This, too, will pass."

Wow, thank you for the great comment (Haha, and yes, I am a girl)! There is no pattern... for the most part, all my poems are free-style, with no patterns. =]

Again, thank you so much for the amazing compliments, I really appreciate it!

~S.E.M

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

I LOVE how you used eyebrows to describe her. I don't know if you're a girl, but you describe it in a way that I can relate to it, especially the eyebrows and frustration part. You don't know anything about the girl really, except for her eyebrows but how you describe it is just really nice. It has substance, if you know what I mean? I'm just wondering, did you write it according to a certain syllable pattern or just whatever came out?

FreakyEyed DIAMOND, Juneau, Alaska

"This, too, will pass."

Thanks for your support! It was an experiment... and you've just confirmed my success! <3

~S.E.M

Brndi said...
very good poem i love it its not like anything ive ever read before its unique!! great job keep it going ;]

FreakyEyed DIAMOND, Juneau, Alaska

"This, too, will pass."

Thank you very much! It was a successful experiment, then! ^-^

blingblang4eva ELITE, Fayetteville, Georgia
very unique and well written. the transition between emotions were very sharp and very effective.