Pieces of Me | Teen Ink

Pieces of Me

By skylarwarren BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
skylarwarren BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

Glass. It's wild how something so fragile, so breakable, can be so dangerous. It can tear flesh with one slash of its jagged edge. Maybe I need to be broken before I can heal. Maybe being broken is the turn I need to become sharp. To become dangerous. But I’ve been broken, or at least I thought, more times than I can count. When my very first boyfriend cheated and lied? Broken. When my beloved dog passed away? Broken. Losing my Great Grandmother? Broken. Maybe the difference is I was able to pick up the pieces. I didn’t weaponize them, I held them. Close to my heart, where the only person they would hurt is me. Being continuously stabbed by jagged glass is why I couldn’t heal. I was broken, but instead of healing and weaponizing my hurt, I continued to shatter my own glass. Wondering why I wasn’t good enough and why do all bad things happen to me? Each beat of my heart cuts deeper and deeper into the
soft flesh, until I have nothing left to give. I don’t want to shatter my glass or anyone else's glass. I want to turn my glass into sand, small pieces that still sting as they are felt in your wounds but are small, easy to forget about. I want to turn my broken glass into sand.

I wrote this piece during a dark time for me. I love the raw emotion you can feel emanating from it. I write to express my feelings and get words onto paper.