Synthwave Stephen | Teen Ink

Synthwave Stephen

March 30, 2024
By monsterbaby BRONZE, Hihibhvhvj, Maine
monsterbaby BRONZE, Hihibhvhvj, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

        60 miles an hour up the deserted highway. Stephen’s full leather armor stretched sleek and shiny like onyx over his body. His motorcycle gleamed a deep royal purple, a king’s robe. The thrum of the engine purred in a steady rumble as he glided over the road, its stout, heavy wheels spinning as smooth as a planet’s rotation. Vibrant neon halos beamed on the inside of the wheels like solar eclipses and striped the sexy metallic beast in a shifting synthwave, electro-magnetizing the energy of the Aurora borealis. The obsidian visor on his helmet reflected the setting sun. A lurid, incandescent orb of molten lava, fully concentrating its passionate luminescence in its thermonuclear core, balancing delicately on the distant forests, which were silhouetted by its brilliance. The pure black concrete road, an inky snake, slithered and wound over verdant hills and pastures, through valleys and under high mountain summits. Stephen revved up the engine and tilted forward so his back was straight, feeding into his bike’s adrenaline and reveling in the wolfish growl. He was a comet spearing through space, leaving behind an electric trail, at risk of catching flame, but it was the danger that he loved. He oscillated in and out of the yellow line, swerving back and forth like the silken tail of a betta fish, flicking his gaze from his uncharted destination ahead to the hot magenta sun, burning with vivid lifeblood. He had never seen the sun like that before. It was a newborn sight to his eyes. It made his pulse jolt with a thrilled lightning. The ground was a speeding haze beneath him, a blurred time vortex whirring into the past, launching him into the future. Stephen eased up on his speed, and the motor’s exhilarated purring slowed. He flicked up his visor to view that vibrant beauty without any barriers. There were no rays beaming from it, no glow around its body. It was a perfectly smooth orb of fluorescent fuchsia magma, and the sky was a stark contrast, a soft baby blue, feathered with the highest, finest clouds you couldn’t even see without the faint orange, purple, and pink hues shading them. And the horizon, it was endless. The cool summer wind rushed over his face, chilling him.

        He exhaled in awe. “Aw yeah, baby.” Stephen grinned to himself, into the fervid heart of the brightest star in the sky, and released a slow whistle. He lowered the black shield and pushed on, going full throttle for the chase. The trees opened up and cradled his prize in the center of the universe, between two mountains.

        He was claiming that sun. It was his, and he wasn’t stopping until he got it.

        Suddenly a shiny white mustang blasted out from the corner of his eye like a lightning bolt and zapped into the lane ahead of him, startling him with its abrupt entrance and explosion of exhaust. The ferocious, brutish roar of the engine silenced his motorcycle’s phantom hum. Jamie lifted one hand off the steering wheel to throw a peace sign above his head.

        Stephen narrowed his eyes, gripped the handlebar tighter. “Over my dead body.” He thrust the machine into maximum power and burnt rubber behind him, feeling the perilous acceleration thrill through his nerves and turn his blood vessels into voltaic chain links. He peeled after Jamie, zapping and crackling with power hunger and a fierce intoxication. The speed demons bombed like intercontinental ballistic missiles, aiming straight for the nuclear iron core of the sun. 


The author's comments:

10 months ago, I had a miniature phase where I loved retrowave music, wallpaper, etc., and this is one piece I wrote that I still very much adore. One evening I saw the sun exactly as described in the first paragraph, back when a forest fire from Canada sent down smoke, creating a haze over the sky, and I biked as fast as I could through town to try to find the very best spot to see it at its peak spectacularness. That inspired me to write this :)