loss | Teen Ink

loss

During the year 2017, my family and I rode on the bullet train for about 6 hours and arrived at wuhan. 
On the way, I started to recognize places I would visit where wai gong and wai po (grandpa and grandma from mom side) live. 
When we arrived, only wai po was standing by the stairs, waiting for us to get out. 
We walked up the stairs till the very top, which I’m familiar with for being way too long. It was 14 floors, there’s a heavy navy colored metal door. 
We walked in and the furniture is still the same from what I remember. A round dinner table in the center of the house, Living room on the left and kitchen on the right. 
My whole family shared a room together that’s located at the end of the hallway.
I peeked in every room and still couldn’t find him. I asked my mom where is wai gong? 
I don’t remember what she told me, but we went to the hospital on the third day to visit him. 
He was sitting up on a hospital bed with tubes in his nose, however, he still looks very lively for a person who’s being hospitalized, still arguing with everyone.  
I wished him good luck and to get well soon not knowing the condition he’s in. We stayed by his side till it got late then bid him goodbye. 
About a year later, I had said countless goodbyes to relatives and friends back in Hong Kong because of education. 
One day, during lunch while I was in my new school in Los Angeles, I got a notification from my parents informing me about the death of wai gong. 
I did not cry, it was because I was in public. However, I was saddened knowing that my family and I couldn’t send him away on his last day. 
5 years later, we still weren't able to visit him. To this day I believe that wai gong deserves a happier death where he wasn't alone.

i needed that extra point.