Unworthy | Teen Ink

Unworthy

January 9, 2024
By Loki_the_bored SILVER, Alpheretta, Georgia
Loki_the_bored SILVER, Alpheretta, Georgia
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The blood jet is poetry, and there's no stopping it."


As it declares proudly in big, scrawled words, in chalkboard letters on the board, my name is Loki.

 

It is a name that was never associated with a boy who could become a hero.

 

Truly, it's as if they expected me to be evil. They must have predicted my angry red cuts and chunky dollar-store rings. 

 

So what does my title mean-? What is Loki? 

Prince of Mischief, God of Lies-

Unworthy. 


My name has always meant, first and foremost, unworthy. I snarl at those who shove me down and I take my gifts and let them burn. I have no duty to serve the world, I am divine. 


"To er is human, to sin is divine." 

 

And Loki- oh, I know them! That is the god who so long ago invoked tales of greed and pain, that one? The adopted, unwanted frost-giant prince? 

 

The god whose own mouth was sewn closed? 

Well- my mouth has been sewn just as tight, and the stings are tight and sharp, made from elastic. 

But I have my mind and I have my hands, and like the god I change, slowly I do

 

Not into "the monster you tell children of at night" 

but into The God Of Stories - another phase of my namesakes life, told by a comic book of all things. 

 

I am Loki

I am the god of stories

I am the god of destruction

I am unworthy and 

If you sew me closed I will tear you apart. 


The author's comments:

This was for an assignment in my online class called "Dust Jacket" where we wrote a poem or short article about our names. Peer review is welcome, although it was more a fun little thing.