Never Fall Too Deep | Teen Ink

Never Fall Too Deep

It is 5:13 on a Friday evening, warm weather out, and cool air inside.  JAMAR walks quickly to the living room with his gym backpack over his shoulder and grabs his car keys 
 JAMAR: I’m going to the park to go hoop grams!  
SHERLY: Okay Mar let me know when you’re heading back.  
JAMAR: Ok bye grams I love you  
JAMAR then rushes out to his 2017 Honda Accord and heads to the park.  He arrives at the park and sees a group of old friends he had fallen out with back in the summer. JAMAR hops out the car with his basketball and approaches the court  
OMARI: Awww, look who it is boys. It’s the boy that think he the stuff roun here 
OMARI walks up to JAMAR and attempts to grab the basketball out of his hand.  
JAMAR: Watch out youngin, this ain’t what you wanna do 
JAMAR snatches the ball back and steps closer to OMARI 
JAMAR: Move I dead just came to hoop yo 
OMARI: You sound like a clown 
JAMAR: Show me I'm a clown den b 
The two boys are now face to face staring at each other for about 15 seconds 
OMARI: I got some better for you brodie  
(OMARI looks back at his group of friends and smiles as JAMAR stares blankly at him) 
This kid a punk. He wanna be this 5 star athlete but straight coward man. 
(JAMAR chuckles) 
(Omari’s friend Aiden pulls out his phone and starts recording)  
AIDEN:  Aye Jamar keep laughing and imma show you some  
JAMAR: Oh Word? Show me sum then bum.  
JAMAR: (steps towards AIDEN) 1v1 right now and show me some  
OMARI: (throws ball at JAMAR) Check up punk 
The two boys start the game and are very aggressive over each other. OMARI gets down by 3 and JAMAR needs one more point to win) 
JAMAR: (dribbling) This one for them members  
(JAMAR runs past OMARI and drives towards the rim. OMARI runs up to JAMAR with full speed) 
OMARI: (Swings JAMAR to ground and takes the ball) Gimme that punk.  
JAMAR: (Gets up and dusts off his shorts) Oh word that’s how you wanna play?  
OMARI: (tosses ball back) lets do it 
(The boys started playing again and JAMAR ends up finishing up the game by dunking over OMARI making his body hit the ground) 
AIDEN: (holds hand out to OMARI) Bro get up let’s just run it up again  
OMARI: (gets up) rematch it lil bru 
JAMAR: (picking up his belongings) Nah im finna have to head out we can run it back up tomorrow fasho 
(JAMAR then leaves the court and gets back in the car. He looks at his phone to see his girlfriend KALI asked him to come see her. He heads to her house and waits outside) 
KALI: (walks outside her house) can I have a hug? 
JAMAR- (reaches in for hug) I'm a lil sweaty but yea  
KALI- (hugs JAMAR back) Where you been?  
JAMAR- (walking into KALI’s house) Just hoopin at the park. I ran into Omari and handled business 
KALI- (Eyes wide) What do you mean by that? 
JAMAR- buddy was basically tryna clown me infront of Aiden and some randoms ian never seen. I handled it the way I do.  
KALI- (Concerned) Did you fight him? 
JAMAR- Na I just 1v1’d son and kept it pushing. Buddy thought it was gonna be cool to swing me to the ground so I had to do him some. 
KALI- (Yelling) SO YOU DID FIGHT?  
JAMAR- (Irritated) No did you not just hear what I said? He swong me so I did him dirty in ball. Ion get physical with these bums yo 
KALI-(Sighs) 
JAMAR- what you acting all mad for? What you don’t like ya boy getting dusted by me huh? You acting like I did something wrong when he got physical. 
KALI- (Clearly frustrated) Why you can’t just avoid him? I don’t speak to him anymore there is no reason for you to have any contact with him 
JAMAR- (Heated) Oh word? You think I went up to this punk? I can’t even go hoop in peace without bums tryna mess around what are you saying Kali? 
KALI- (Speechless)  
JAMAR- (Frustrated) You got it yo im finna go home and shower den im done for the night. Don’t even think about texting me tonight 
KALI- (Acting confused) All because I got the story wrong? 
JAMAR- (Mad) You just don’t get it yo (walks out and slams door) 
(JAMAR goes to his car and zooms off to his house. After he arrived home he showered and went right to bed. The next day he decides to go back to the park around the same time to play ball. He peeps OmarI and his crew upon arrival) 
OMARI- (Walks up to JAMAR) What about that rematch cuh?  
JAMAR- Just got here b you got have to let me warm up a lil.  
OMARI- (Chuckles) But you pos to be this cold athlete that can do everything, what happened to that cuh? 
JAMAR- I am I mean you clearly can’t beat me. Ion got much to say to you. Im cold enough to do whatever sport I please. 
OMARI- (Laughs) Ahhh if you was so cold then your girl wouldn’t be texting this phone would she?  
JAMAR- (Face scrunched) What? 
(OMARI pulls out his phone and shows messages between himself and KALI. He goes further and puts the phone in JAMAR’s face to show they had been on the phone the night before) 
JAMAR- (Confused) Can’t be Kali 
OMARI- (Shows KALI’s number to JAMAR) All that talent just to still get yo girl took? You’ll never have one up on me punk.  
JAMAR- (Moves OMARI’s phone) Get away from me with that yo, you got the girl number you can have her fashoo yo  
OMARI- (Laughs) I mean I should go to her house after this cuz we all know she love me there every time (Shrugs shoulders) 
JAMAR- (Bounces ball) you got is broski she aint much of a loss.  
OMARI- the way she had me I'd be sick if I was you punk. You ain nothing but a low life she clearly know where home at 
(JAMAR charges at OMARI and punches him dead in the nose making him bleed. OMARI flips JAMAR and attempts to get on top. JAMAR overpowers him and flips him back over punching him repeatedly. OMARI was trying to shield his face with blood gushing from his head. OMARI’s crew comes and pulls JAMAR off him) 
JAMAR- (Yelling and spitting) DON'T EVER DISRESPECT ME! 
AIDEN- (pushing JAMAR away from OMARI’s body) watch out dude you did enough  
JAMAR- (yelling) AINT GON NEVER BE ENOUGH FOR YA 
(OMARI was unconscious as JAMAR continued yelling. AIDEN continues pushing him away as he steadily charges toward OMARI’s body.) 
AIDEN- (pushing JAMAR and yelling) DUDE JUST LEAVE! OMARI AINT BREATHING DUDE! 
(JAMAR finally calms down enough to leave. AIDEN, attempting to wake OMARI up as he called the police, now in full distress. OMARI, laying like a dead man, wouldn’t stop bleeding. AIDEN starts having a panic attack and falls out while on the phone. Both OMARI and AIDEN’s body lie stiff until police arrive) 

This story is based off the true life of two college athletes that can't put their differences aside all over a female.