Little Walmart Shoes | Teen Ink

Little Walmart Shoes

By Znava51z BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois
Znava51z BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois

Ode to the Familias who struggled with financial problems 

To the Nene’s who wore Walmart shoes and got made fun of at school as if they were the ones working 9-5

To the Papas who never showed it, but were struggling on the inside after he lost la casa.

To that comforting casa with its white rotting fences and ashy blue walls  

That ashy blue casa that Papa made welcoming to Nene’s friends in the neighborhood

las mejillas de los Nene's pinched red like cherries, shivering longing to play. 

To Primavera when those little white flowers bloomed in the ashy blue house’s backyard, 

Pick 

Pick 

Pick 

One by one it filled our time with joy longing for another day 

To the cemetery that was down the street that helped those kids not be scared of death 

So when the man downstairs died. 

We.

Didn't.

Cry.

To the Papa who helped their Nene’s overcome their fears so that when they turn off the light they don't run up the stairs con miedo that something will grab them by their pies and hurt them

That Papa who tried his best to spend time with his Nene’s even if he worked 

3 am- 12 pm  

To those tractor rides that Papa gave to those cheerful Nene’s that ran around the yard even though he was tired, working hard for his familia

coming home tired taking off those black

worn boots with scuffs falling asleep but not before saying goodnight to those oblivious cheerful nene's

The Papa who is always trying to better himself even if with restrictions holding him back

That Papa works dia y noche giving his Nene’s what he couldn't give them when they were niños 

To that loving Papa, those cheerful nene’s who aren’t nene’s anymore que ama y aprecia those Walmart shoes.

She knows now.

How.

Hard.

He worked for those shoes, those pink and gray Walmart shoes 

Those shoes that took her through 5th grade 

So now she can say she almost made it 

She can give her Familia la vida that they deserve

That cheerfully oblivious Nene who didn’t know what her Papa was going through until later on 

Te amo papi.

This piece is about my early childhood and how my father really protected us from the thinks he didn't want us to see. Walmart shoes is something many people get bullied for and i am no exception. I am proud for what my dad could do for me and my family and very proud to say that he is my dad.