Ask Yourself | Teen Ink

Ask Yourself

September 28, 2023
By Kyrinn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kyrinn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I wish I was me, whoever that is. - AJR, Inertia : The Maybe Man


Why do you not talk about yourself?

it feels wrong. people talk to me and seem to want to know lots about me.

What’s so wrong about that? Maybe they are just interested.


because they ask too many questions. they ask like they need to know.

But what if they do need to know?

then they can let me know. It feels like people ask like they deserve the knowledge.


You could always say that you don’t want to let them know.

when i do, they ask more questions about why i won’t talk. it becomes more difficult.

What if they just want to find common ground to talk about something?


they can ask me about my interests. That  isn’t a big deal. It’s when they ask about my life.

they talk like they already are acquaintances with me, and we haven’t seen each other in years.

they ask questions that poke and prod around things that i can’t or shouldn’t share.


Why can’t you just suck it up and deal with it?

because that isn’t worth my time and mental well being.

I shouldn’t have to give in and talk when I don’t feel comfortable doing so.


Well then that’s just being rude towards the people who want to get to know you.

and i don’t care. it’s an older commonality. it’s because the older generations were more open.

i am not a social person. if i want to talk with someone, i’ll do it, but with caveats.


Why couldn’t you just be a normal, social person? Why can’t you just be open?

because I'll get hurt. the amount of times i’ve told people something and they’ve been rude is pretty big. not a fun experience


i think that i should tell people as is. 

i can ask myself my own questions about me