My Friend | Teen Ink

My Friend

April 24, 2023
By Gabadaba GOLD, Jamaica, Other
Gabadaba GOLD, Jamaica, Other
17 articles 0 photos 6 comments

1. My friend wore a dress today. It was the first time ever in his life.

When he told me he was finally happy I couldn’t believe it…


2. In Jamaica there is a word for people like him: battyb*y, f*ggot, sketel, the devil

And I am sure he knows all of them-maybe even more, but yet still he says he is still happy. 


3. James no sorry I am sure Leviticus-no maybe Romans-no sorry Miss Belch down the road said that his kind are the epitome of sin “You must neva go around dem children yuh ere. They will wrap you up in a sin an throw yuh fi di devil, dem a di cuckoo bird yuh ere, OBEAH MI TELL YUH!”


5. On his wrist, on his face, on his tears, on his faith I see these words everyday. So tell me, how could he of his complexion still be happy?

                                                                                                                      and

6. Why? Why? I really don’t know. I look at him again. Up!   and      Back!            Forth!   

                                                                                             Down!

I spin him round and round in his little dress to find summer’s lie. But he was. He was happy. So much in fact that it was happy with a Finally. After 12 desolate, hopeless years my friend enjoyed himself.


In the most unbecoming way in the eyes of God, His child is happy. Isn’t that funny?


5. I find it hilarious.