What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

November 3, 2022
By 3klubertanz GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
3klubertanz GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The battle of Chosin: In the fall of 1950 during the Korean War, the U.S. troops having almost captured all of North Korea, were suddenly ambushed by thousands of bloodthirsty communist Chinese soldiers. The US had to fall back. Although they weren’t retreating, they were “fighting in the opposite direction.” Over the next 17 days, the US fought with endless determination and managed to break through bouts of frostbite and encirclement. Although heavy casualties were suffered, the spirit and sheer will of those brave men wearing red white and blue speak volumes to this day. 


Iwo Jima: One island of many, a barren wasteland. The US sought to gain control over all of the pacific islands inhabited by Japan in WWII. The Japanese were known for their atrocities in war; they didn’t play fair and were willing to do anything for their emperor including killing themselves to induce the most death of the enemy. Over 21,000 troops met the US at the battle. Almost every single soldier fought to the very end, yet through all of the loss and hardship, the US still let its flag stand on the top of Mount Suribachi. 


D-Day: The tide-turning battle in WWII. The largest air, land, and sea operation to date. Across the 60-mile coastal stretch of Normandy, hundreds of thousands of troops made landfall in pursuit of the insurrection. In the ultimate test of bravery and determination, red white and blue seared and led to the eventual hundreds of thousands of allied forces successfully storming and holding Normandy allowing for the eventual fall of Germany. 


The United States flag stands for determination, it stands for sacrifice, it stands for peace and honor, it stands for every single US citizen and their beliefs. It symbolizes a body of people, all unified under a pledge, a song. A country brought together all under one flag, the star-spangled banner. Our red white and blue.