Woodland Wonder | Teen Ink

Woodland Wonder

By 3steinbauer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3steinbauer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Endless trees create a landscape of curiosity. Each new hill marks a new discovery. Each fallen leaf illustrates the need for change. Each stump represents the end of a journey. 

The forest spans farther than the eye can see in all directions. Underneath the canopy of branches lies a diverse community of organisms. Some hidden, some in plain sight. All small parts of the grand scheme of nature. On one side the wolf stalks its prey. On the other, a mother deer leads its fawns. This ecosystem spurs curiosity, inevitably leading to discovery.

The fall formation of reds, oranges, and yellows create a complex puzzle not even Einstein can solve. As each leaf falls, a portion of the ground is lost. Covering, Covering, Covering until no ground can be seen anymore. This continues on for miles with each tree being different from the last.

As the setting sun says goodbye, the shining moon pierces through the canopy. Each branch twisting and turning the moonlight, forming rays that reach the ground. Some animals begin to sleep while others are just waking. Wind riddles each branch, creating a symphony of rustling leaves. Illuminated by the moon and energized by wind, the forest lives on.

This piece was created by an 18 year old based off the perspectives of a 50 year old. The implementation of views from an intergenerational team gives a whole new insight to this poem.