Re-submission of the girl with the smiling eyes | Teen Ink

Re-submission of the girl with the smiling eyes

July 29, 2022
By CheyenneC GOLD, Vero Beach, Florida
CheyenneC GOLD, Vero Beach, Florida
14 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
The kids who need the most love will ask for it in the most unloving ways.


There's a girl with the prettiest smile when she laughs it sounds like heaven, but behind her kind eyes, she has a secret to tell of all the pain she saw and all the suffering she will never let you see. She sees her fake life in the shadows and feels her fake mother's hands holding her as she sleeps. Hears her voice when she is alone. She seems so perfect you never could have known the things she felt and the lies being told the things she did to herself just to see herself bleeding. But do not worry or feel bad because she closed the door so tightly and put her walls up so high even her own family couldn't hear her silently screaming. She sits in the front of her classes and always finishes in first her eyes smile even when she isn't but if you look close enough her eyes are glazed over like newly cut glass and shimmer from the tears that started this spark. I know all this because I am her. I hid the bruises, burns, and cuts and smiled my way through the never-ending cycle of pain, Showed kindness to whoever needed it, but I am broken scarred, and unfixable, and growing weary of the fake hello's but now you know my pain is unmissable and when I say I am okay, this is why I am not. I told many lies to cover the truth made up stories of the past but now I am stuck beneath the weight of the truth and every lie comes out like vomit spilling onto those closest to my heart. I swim to the truth soaring above the clouds with my kind heart seeing the world as a beautiful thing. So this is me at only 15 what will I be when I'm 23? we will have to wait to find out.


The author's comments:

this is a resubmission of a poem I wrote two years ago I fixed it up and made it more presentable.