Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

March 7, 2022
By writer200005 BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
writer200005 BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kayla. It means genuine. It means kind. It is the burning summer day spent at a theme park. The hot air making you sweat. The wind blowing through your hair as you loop de loop through the sky. The adrenaline after each and every ride. 


It is the number 18. An adult. The age you gain your own freedom and independence. The age you’re no longer under a guardians wing. Where you’re free to make your own decisions.


Kayla. It is like the weight lifted off of your shoulders in unison, the K and following letters move as one and piece together. It is the feeling when you’ve finally accomplished something you haven't done yet.  


It is a welcoming name. It is a name that feels safe. The K leads and protects the rest of the letters. Like a high stone wall protecting you from the outside world. It is like the relief you have. The feeling that you can finally feel safe. 


It resembles mountains. The height of each letter going up and down. It is the cool breeze rushing through your hair as you venture through the winding paths. It is the determination to reach your final destination. It is like the time I hiked up Mount Noma falls. When I reached the top, my first words that came out of my mouth were “I did it.”  


It tastes like bubblegum. A flavor you can distinctly recognize. The familiar, bold, sugary taste that rushes through your mouth as you chew.


I’m not like the mountains myself but I'm the journey through them. The winding turns, sudden drops, and rocky hills. With each turn comes a spree of different events.  Like an unpredictable guessing game you win from time to time. One of the few reasons why I'm somewhat recognizable to others. It would be nice to be recognized as who I am and not my mountains. But for now, I'm just happy I was able to get through those mountains to become who I am today.    


The author's comments:

My name is Kayla.