The shore Says to the Sun | Teen Ink

The shore Says to the Sun

By Winstead BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Winstead BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

When the rolling, roaring, augmentation of water and life breaks against the shore….

The sun asks it, ¨don't you ever get tired...of the same thing, day after day after day?¨

The shore thinks for a moment, and then replies: 

¨No, because every day it is the same...but nothing else is. 

The toes that squish into my soft flesh are always changing. Sometimes they are attached to screaming, ecstatic children, sometimes to pensive, white haired couples, sometimes to tired looking parents, stealing a moment away,

The houses along my broad belly are always changing. The paint colors peeling, or swiped over with a new shining coat. Different towels hanging on the porch, rooms added, sometimes a whole home replaced or left empty,

The noises that pound into me are always changing. Transistor radios and tinny, crooning songs, to fast-paced rap and the shouts of college kids. The cut glass vowels and sharp words of a governess watching over children up for a day at the shore to the frustrated remonstrations of a parent to their boisterous progeny, 

Even me...even I am changing. Parts of my flesh trickling away, wrenched away by unwitting travelers who carry me home. 

So no I don't grow tired of the crash of the waves….it's the same….its everyday….its the routine….its habit…..at least it doesn't change.¨

This is one of my first submissions-so I am excited to be on the website!

Aww thanks so much!

Crazywolfiegirl2 PLATINUM, Kington, Other

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature—the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. —Rachel Carson

I love this poem, it is so unlike all the other ones I have read on here (in a good way). I hope you can do more work on here 🙃

Okay now I have to read it! That sounds so interesting-I can't not read a story about a serial killer and a wolf!!

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

bet you didfnt get thru a quarter of ine. th only stuff that really sticks out as being ultimitly worthwhile tho is interwoven wolves... which is like 23 very long posts at this point. mmmmmm but i have soooo much time to explore characters.... and plan her death... altho i already did. at the end of the 4th section i belive she will die. or maybe ill do one more. the point is, she dies, frost kills her, galaxy geives, and everyone lives miserably ever after. well, echo turns into a constilation of an owl. and frost is the alpha, so maybe shes happy? and galaxy might end up killing her physcopath dad, so she probably isn't happy. (echo was human but then turned into something else, frost is half wolf, galaxy is half lion and her dad is a serial killer but the leader of the pride.) and since you probably wont read it, why not just say it? galaxy and echo are actually sisters.

Haha! I read rain-I loved it!! Don't doubt yourself-besides-sometimes depressing poetry is good!

on Mar. 4 2021 at 9:24 am
CrystalMelody GOLD, X, Other

"um?"-me ;9

exept maybe rain but i dont know whats going on there.

on Mar. 4 2021 at 9:24 am
CrystalMelody GOLD, X, Other

"um?"-me ;9

not sure thats a good idea. for some reason all my poetry is the most depressing thing I'll ever read.

on Mar. 2 2021 at 8:29 am
True:)) Thanks for the comment/compliment! I will go read y´alls stuff now too!

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

positive literally means a good thing(:

on Mar. 1 2021 at 10:06 am
Is that a good thing?

CrystalMelody GOLD, X, Other

"um?"-me ;9

thats so positive