Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By TaKiyahGroh SILVER, Ozark, Missouri
TaKiyahGroh SILVER, Ozark, Missouri

"Do not judge my story by the chapter you walked in on"

I'm from loud gunshots at night, from sirens interupting my childish dreams, from the next morning gossip of "who was killed."

I am from chicken and waffles on Wendsday nights, and leftovers for breakfast. I am from sassy comebacks and slaps in the face.

I am from moving far away, from starting a whole new life, from city to country, from pavement to dirt, I am from different DNA, and from a lot of halves not a lot of wholes. 

I am from grandmas pool and water through the house, I am from drinking sweet tea in the hay field and movie night after, from riding on the trunk to the creek, and watching my uncle swing off into the water.

I am from divorced parents after fourteen long years, from moving yet again. I am from having to make new friends, from cheerleading and choir.

I am from meeting more siblings, from making hard decisons. I am from a large family of two different races and from loving people for who they are. I am from not judging people. I am from hard working parents who taught me to be the person I am today.