Dawning of Truth | Teen Ink

Dawning of Truth

By Seth Prather SILVER, Independence, Kansas
Seth Prather SILVER, Independence, Kansas

For so long I entreated others to give me the gift of love
Not knowing that this feeling must come from within who I am.
I refused the soul inside of me, feeling only a chasm of the deepest darkness.
Futilely I believed in a blackened heart instead of one which is pure.

My arms were tautly stretched towards love’s warm embrace,
My hands twisted like deadly claws trying to grab what I was perpetually denied.
As I look back and think upon the ignorant person I once was,
A tear silently falls down my cheek and drips onto a blood-stained hand.

I felt so empty, so alone, like my world would forever be in this blackness
Many days I did not wish to speak, not even in a whisper.
While in this self-induced state of wretchedness,
I forced myself to feel pain from a silently-beating, bleeding heart.

My body wasted away in the sickness that clouded my life
No matter who tried, happiness would not come to my troubled heart and soul.
The power of doubt clouded my feelings, my true emotions.
But no longer does my unforgiving mind control my heart.

From the depths of the deepest darkness I dared to take a swift look above.
Astounded, I gazed upon an angel’s radiant face smiling down at me.
What I did not know is from that moment I would finally feel true love.
How I was graced with such a wonderful gift will remain hidden to me.

My theory of my gift is that i overcame an oppression I had placed around myself.
The chains of depression were made brittle and I was able to break free.
From there, my head lifted into the darkness of my soul,
And there was the light of love, waiting for me.

As it turns out, love did not turn its back on me,
Rather I had turned my back greedily against the evasive feeling.
But from that wonderful day, I have not let down myself in all that I accomplish.
Nothing feels better than to break free of clouded thoughts to see the light of truth

Forever and always I swear I will never turn my back on love.
Love cannot turn its back on any person, only he or she can turn against it.
Patience is a virtue that we all must learn, but learn on our own.
Life is my greatest value, and my newly acquired love enhances it more than mere words can tell.

I give this poem to any one who reads my words as a gift.
Although the reader(s) may not learn of the importance or morality in this,
My fervent hope is that they will be enlightened to suede from self-doubt
And finally be able to see the dawning of truth in darkness.

i hope this piece gets published in Raw soon because i wish to enter this in the Love contest that will come to be in February.

a quick note about this poem:

i wrote this while i reminisced about my depression in previous years and how i overcame it. the inspiration was instilled into me as i read about the contest. i step forward with the wish to prevail, yet this is a win win situation. no matter what, i wrote this for everyone, and as long as it is read, my wish comes true.

Enjoy.

PS: please comment. i wish to know what readers think about it. Thank you.

AshlynSerora BRONZE, Riverview, Florida

Always found in ink wells and paper hearts..

Thank you for saying that. Some days I wonder if people truly understand the impact of their own words. It's people like you that I can read and listen all day with the same happy contented smile on my face. Your reasoning, your work are both resonating mirror images of one another. That is what strikes me most during this slight introduction. Your poem is truly heartfelt and I love the imagery. While simple, short stanza poetry is amazing onto itself, I have always enjoyed longer, more descriptive poetry and description is something you utilize very well. But while it is beautiful, it isn't perfect. There are places in the stanzas where your words seem to run on where they shouldn't and it makes it a little hard to follow the first time through. I think you should consider punctuating a little differently in order to keep your thoughts smooth in transition. But thats just my opinion. To me, punctuation is fluidity and even then I still have trouble getting it right. I have to say I haven't been a member here for very long. I actually stopped checking my file after i saw how little feedback I was getting. But then again I'm not the only one who'd like feedback. So far I only have one poem submitted, but my second is being processed now. And i would absoluetly love to hear any comment or opinions you have about my work. Please consider commenting on mine? Please and thank you very much. And don't apologize for the length lol At least yours makes sense, compared to mine espacially lol ^ ^

pyropoet DIAMOND, Zimmerman, Minnesota

You are NEVER alone in your troubles - there is someone who is always willing to lend a hand or a shoulder to you.
-L. Kimpton

all i can say is wow its truly amazing keep it up!

blackamethyst GOLD, Centerville, Ohio
This is a very moving piece of writing. I especially like the line "A tear silently falls down my cheek and drips onto a blood-stained hand." I really, really love this and i can relate. Please keep writing.

on Mar. 26 2009 at 2:06 am
Thank you. In my view, all poetry is beautiful in its own right. Do not berate your own poetry, for mine is no greater than any other.

i love your poem. i also write poetry although its not as good as yours. love it and keep up the great work

Seth Prather said...
Thank you both. I am a developing writer hoping to make an impact on the world. You do not know how much commenting on my works means to me. A writer needs feedback. The title "Best Writer" is an opinion. To me, every writer is the best according to that person's personality and nature. If he or she continues to write, then he or she does win. Writing should not turn into a competition, but rather remain a sharing of intellectual thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc. I hope every writer realizes that his or her writing impacts every person who reads it, whether it be in a positive or negaitve way. Words flow from thought to pen to paper throughout the world in a perpetual manner and will until Time's end. A wish of mine is that my writing will be a part of history, and it is. Anything a person writes is history, whether it is remembered or not is secondary to me. My main wish is that my writing be read and influence others.

Again, thank you for commenting. It is graciously appreciated.

PS: Sorry for the long response. At the moment, I am exploding with the power of thought rushing through my mind and I am having trouble channeling it into anything.

This was so beautiful. I love the imagery, its so deep and thought provoking. I also know what depression feels like, and I think you did a fantastic job turning actual feelings and emotions into words. That's something I could never do. Kudos on the brilliant writing.

-shelby-

I think is more of an opinion piece than a poem, although poetry can pretty much be anything. I enjoyed reading it, and there is a lot to get out of it, but I think I'd have to read it again and look at it carefully to get more out of it. I liked how you said love cannot turn its back on you, you can only turn your back on love. I think this is very true, and a lot of people don't realize it. I think you put a lot of good thoughts into this and it was very well-written. Good luck on the contest! (may the best writer win). I have read a few other of the pieces you put on the facebook page, and I think they are all very good. Keep writing!