Teacher of the year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the year

By Andrea.Michellee GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Andrea.Michellee GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Optimistic about the year to come, I casually walk into room 100. Study hall is always my favorite time of the day. I glance up and see my friends sitting in the row behind me and we cheer because we know when the teacher comes and grabs our student IDs, we will be off to the library.

We walk through the door which soon became our escape…our free

time to converse with our friends. Study hall library was different this time around, though,because we got the freedom to be us. My friends and I sat at those same old rectangular desks, but the person who came up to us was not so familiar. Debra Wolf walked up to us as joyful as a little kid on Christmas morning. She was just like every other kid sitting in that room. She was relatable, mellow, and just so sincere. Mrs. Wolf understood us and we understood Mrs. Wolf. That’s what I love most about her. I have never met someone who genuinely cared about a bunch of kids in a room as much as she does.

As she walked up to us, she smiled and introduced herself. “Hi ladies. I’m Debra Wolf.. You know like the animal,” she said radiantly.

My friends and I looked at each other and we knew from that point, it was going to be a fabulous year. Every other day, on B days, we looked forward to walking into study hall and into the library, not for the freedom of talking, but because we got to see Mrs.Wolf.

Everyday was a new experience with her. We learned about her and she learned about us. It wasn’t just me and my friends that had a great connection with her, but also the other kids in the library. You could tell she genuinely cared about each student.

Mrs. Wolf was not a regular teacher, though…She isn’t a teacher of Math, Science, Spanish or English, but a teacher of life. Mrs. Wolf’s job was to sit behind
that rectangular desk and hand us back our IDs. She also had to make sure we were working, but she did that and more. When someone was unhappy, she made them laugh. When
someone needed advice, she gave it to them. Mrs. Wolf did her job times two. And even though her job wasn’t to make sure we were happy, she did it anyway.

Around the end of first semester, Mrs.Wolf and I had a pretty good connection. We talked
and laughed and she was like another best friend to me. When I was really down, she went above and beyond to make sure I was truly happy. I remember she said, “Cheer up, buttercup. You don’t need him anyway.” That day she wasn’t just considered my librarian, but my
confidant…and a person I can truly look up to.

Mrs. Wolf should be considered for this award not because she helped people succeed in school, but because she helped people grow in the heart.
Mrs. Wolf defines what this contest is asking for and I believe she’s the greatest educator. She made me realize it isn't the big things that are the actual big things in life.I’m proud to say I nominate Debra Wolf, my librarian, for this award.

About my librarian