A Young Racers Teacher | Teen Ink

A Young Racers Teacher

June 5, 2024
By Anonymous

When people think about giving or receiving gifts, they think about an actual object that can be wrapped in a whole bunch of paper, with a big red bow on top. Most people take the gifts that are given metaphorically for granted because it is not all wrapped up. Needless to say, there are so many different forms of gifts that can be given.

At the start of my racing career with one of my rookie teams that I was pitting for, I met Ray Drew. Ray is a Division 3 Top Alcohol funny car racer. At this specific event that we met at, Ray was without a team as they had better stuff to do and did not want to spend their whole weekend working. I however was already at the track working on a racecar so when he asked for mine and my dads help, we jumped on the opportunity of a lifetime. It's not common for a 15 year old to be on a professional team. At each event, I realize that I have had a crap ton of fun, and I look at all of the cool stuff that I have learned in racing. I have been given a better work ethic, I was shown that hard work pays off, and so many more important lessons that will allow me to succeed in the future. 

Not only has Ray been a huge part of my racing career in the pit crew aspect, but when I bought my car and started racing it, he was there at the track teaching me the ropes so that I could be a better driver. Without the teachings of Ray, I’m not sure that I would be in the same position that I am in. Currently, I am a part of 4 race teams; My own team Motorhead racing, F.A.S.T performance, Ray Drew Racing, and CPR Competition. I have also been accepted into WCTCs Dual Enrollment Program for welding and fabricating so that I can continue working and learning on race cars. 

Without racing, I don't know if I would have the drive or the passion to get to the place that I am today. I wouldn't have applied to college, I wouldn't have set myself up with a steady job, and I wouldn't be a part of the hobby that has been the center of my life. I have placated my parents for the success that I have set up for myself. Though I am a Novice to racing, I'm hoping with this knowledge, I can become one of the best racers in the world. Though I still have loads more to learn, I realize that there have been so many people by my side helping me throughout my life. So, I will Exalt all of my trophies to them as a thank you, for all of the work they did to make me who I am today, for I am living the racers dream at only 17-years old.


The author's comments:

I have been super lucky to have the opportunity to work with Ray and my other teams and I am thankful for them and my parents for teaching me