A perfect life | Teen Ink

A perfect life

May 20, 2024
By Anonymous

A perfect life. It’s normal to think I need this, I need that, I want this thing, and I most definitely can’t live without this. In a world full of people trying to be the most perfect, look the most perfect, act the most perfect, and get the most perfect, we get stuck in this circle of beguilement that just leads us to disappointment. It’s important to look at the little things we are already granted in such a big but short life. Time is a thief, and soon runs out, and I think that’s taken for granted in the such beautiful life we get. It’s human nature to get stuck in the little things that we want and think we need, and it’s normal to be selfish and greedy at some points in time. These obstacles that humans deal with internally are just reminders everyday to appreciate the little things in life and look around at the good that we as humans are already blessed with. 

Did you see the beautiful sunrise this morning? The sunset? Have you appreciated the gentle breeze and the whispers that quickly fly by? Have you noticed your mom planting the new garden in your backyard and the beauty of the flowers and all the detail that goes into the growth of the flower? The sun? The moon? Have you looked around lately to say, “Wow I really appreciate having breath in my lungs?” Instead of thinking you're gonna live for eternity. These are the little things that are a necessity to living a happy and perfect life. Enjoy the little things that even bring you the slightest bit of happiness. Have you appreciated your best friend sitting next to you that has been trying so hard? Have you acknowledged yourself for pushing through everyday and working your hardest?

We are given this beautiful life and we need to gain the wisdom to be clairvoyant and make the most of our lives. We have bodies that function in the most unique and perfect way; every little part of our bodies gives us the ability to do what we do in one day, and for our entire lifetime. Yes, every day can seem to become repetitive, but what if you don’t have the next day? It’s the little things. The little things are a lesson to embrace what we are already given and have discretion to make the decision to not always need the next thing all the time. 

The most perfect life comes from smiling at the green grass, and big bright sun, and hanging out with friends and family. In my generation we are constantly looking at our phones, texting, scrolling through social media like bees buzzing around their hive, always engaged and active, but when have you once said, “I am going to go outside and spend time with my family?” Before thinking, I can't wait to scroll through social media. When you have the moment, sit and think about the little things you have greatly missed while living your “repetitive” life. 

Remember, happiness comes from looking around and living in the moment. Next time you are out and about or scrolling on your phone, make the decision to live the most perfect life, go achieve the thing you most want in life, go practice, study, sit in the sun, read, and most definitely look around, don’t miss the little things that sit right in front of you that you may not get to see again. The perfect life is the life of simplicity.


The author's comments:

This piece is about enjoying the little things instead of always needing the next thing.