Kind | Teen Ink

Kind

By almogefriedman GOLD, Los Angeles, California
almogefriedman GOLD, Los Angeles, California

"We accept the love we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)

As you enter, keep the door open just a few seconds longer; I promise you won’t be late. Your eyes are kindest when they are looking at theirs. They are a person, a who, a being, just like you. This is how you show them that you’re listening; this is how you actually listen. Move your chin up and down ever so slightly; once or a hundred times. It takes less than a second to add the word, “respectfully”, when disagreeing. Share, if you are able to share. Share your pencil or your knowledge or room in your heart. This is how you keep them in mind. Say thank you, thanks, thank you very much, or articulate the words quietly if you have lost your voice, so long as they know to say you are welcome. If you take, give. When you give, give wholeheartedly. This is how you keep on passing gifts. This is how you be kind to yourself in your spare time, for it is too precious to waste consumed in others’ wrongs. But be careful when you speak to your reflection, for a mirror’s glass is very fragile. Be a diplomat; put out the fire someone else started. But do not be afraid to ignite a spark if it is too dark outside. When someone trusts you with their key, you keep it, lock it in a safe, and share the code with nobody. Rejoice in their good news. Offer your hand when they are vulnerable. That is all it takes. This is how to make the world a little kinder.