Juneteenth | Teen Ink

Juneteenth

June 8, 2023
By Kamryn_Payne BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
Kamryn_Payne BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Self-Control is the best control"


Juneteenth is a day of remembrance and pride, how strong black people worked to get the white community on our side

To Understand that we earned our freedom and we weren't going to stop ‘til we received that freedom

This is a day of gratitude and appreciation to show our ancestors were sick and tired of the Negotiations.

Instead they decided to make a change and help out in the civil war in many ways. Every black person should be proud and they should be able to be proud out loud. 

Thus the reason for juneteenth. To express our gratitude within our community. 

Even got a flag that supports the occasion so bring it on out during the celebrations. 

Evolved to modern times, Juneteenth can be celebrated with foods of any kind but back then it had to be foods red for sacrifice. 

Not only was the freedom train dangerous to climb, our ancestors did it without a blink of an eye. 

The original colors were red, white and blue which symbolized america. To give Juneteenth a more dignified symbol, the colors were changed to red, black and green to give a different “replica”. 

So on June 19th show a little respect and Have a little pride. The black community has made it! We have arrived!


The author's comments:

This acrostic poem is a shortened detail about the importance of Juneteenth. Although not very expansive, it includes facts and significance about Juneteenth which is celebrated June 19th in honor of black people gaining freedom after the civil war. This piece is not to offend anyone nor be discriminatory but to mearly shed light on the Juneteenth Holiday.