Where Is My Sunshine? | Teen Ink

Where Is My Sunshine?

April 22, 2023
By Casszilla06 GOLD, Gilbert, South Carolina
Casszilla06 GOLD, Gilbert, South Carolina
11 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"We're shooting for the moon, but if we land among the stars, that's okay, because they're just as beautiful." - Me ;)


Screams pierce my ears from far away,

The consistent sound that is the new start of my day.

I fall from bed and huddle down;

Bracing for the impact, I hit the ground.


Machine gun fire is my new favorite song,

Stealing the lives that’ve been in this place for so long.

One day, I know it will steal mine too.

One day, maybe I will get to finally see you.


It’s been three days, that’s long enough.

I crawl around, trying to gather my stuff.

Your face floats past in my mind;

I shudder and wonder if I’m out of time.


It’s been three days, and I still can’t think.

Even now, I stare at the mirror over the sink.

The bloodshot eyes and dirty face,

Symbols of what all I have lost in this place.


If you were here, you would have laughed!

A happy sound found now only in my past.

The grief, the sadness, the guilt, the pain

Tears at me and shatters my brain.


You are not here; I cannot move on.

Defeated, I stagger back to my bed at the break of dawn.

You were my life, you were what I ever wanted to be.


I sigh.


Out of the window, the sun rises, but not for me.


The author's comments:

This is a poem I wrote after hearing some devastating news regarding Russia and Ukraine. I imagined what it would be like to be over in Ukraine, where out of my ordinary life, a bomb explodes in front of me, changing everything in just a millisecond. I thought about how so many people were losing loved ones over something most of them probably had nothing to do with. They were just collateral damage. And that, to me, is the worst part about it. The fact that innocent people are perishing at the hands of those who kill because of power and selfishness. This poem is meant to enlighten people from all around the world, in any situation, about the dangers and hardships of unwanted war. In this poem, you can clearly see how the main character is grieving after the loss of someone very important to them, and that grief over a sudden and too-soon death is causing this character to no longer feel the need to move on, to fight, to stay alive. Not only did the war kill someone, it crippled someone else through that loss. This poem is meant to emphasize the devastation of war and bring people to a better understanding of others’ pain and give us all an understanding of the dangers we face when calling out an act of war.