My name | Teen Ink

My name

By alec_neuharth BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
alec_neuharth BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

My name is unique—but almost lonely,

It’s only unique by one letter–C. Sharp and to the point. My name almost makes you think about a fall evening—but I can’t stop thinking back to that one-letter difference.

Almost like you’re at the top of a hill but can’t crest it or can’t reach the top step. Not reaching the top. that's what my name could make you think about, but that's not what it represents. Alec. It's very short, but it can mean more than just letters.

Alec Burks was an NBA player showing immense amounts of grit, determination, and dedication. Alec Guinness was an actor, who reached his dreams. Alec Burks and Alec Guinness are both very successful in their own ways and each symbolizes the name. One with dedication and determination the other with hopes and dreams.

But why should I compare myself to other people? shouldn’t I be unique like my name?

My name isn’t something I should be, it’s who I am. Working toward my goals is what my name stands for—reaching your goals. Everything I've done has been to reach my goals. But once again that's the short answer. Still, my name symbolizes so much more than just reaching my goals. It symbolizes everything I’ve done throughout my life to get to the point I’m at now. It symbolizes all the ups and downs. It just symbolizes me.

But with all that Alec could symbolize it still is a lonely name. It still makes you think about how that one letter is almost like not cresting that hill. It's unique and special but that doesn’t mean it's not lonely.

Being unique and special is double-edged with being lonely. Best described by a song lyric “All of the stories, the hero gets lonely.” Just not fitting in. not like everyone else, they’re different and that’s lonely. Everyone at some point feels loneliness, but it doesn’t define who I am or what my name symbolizes. My name is just me.

Wrote this as part of my composition class.