Trusted Death | Teen Ink

Trusted Death

By Rspencer07 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Rspencer07 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

He rolled down his window; the wet rain came crashing in as he called out, "Hey—do you want a ride?" I looked over at the black Malibu car that had dark as night tinted windows, and raindrops of water running down the side of the car and on the windows, he knew she was alone. I usually didn’t accept rides from strangers but it had been pouring down for the last fifteen minutes and I was drenched head-to-toe, my black converse had turned into a darker black and my hair was ringing wet.  I knew this was how people got kidnapped, but I didn’t care. I knew I was going to accept his ride offer. `

“Sure, that be nice,”  I said starting to cautiously approach the car. I heard the Clink of the car being unlocked. I reached forward slowly taking the handle that was soaked from the rain. I pulled gently and the door opened, making a bit of a creaking sound. I got in closing the door behind me. 

“You know, I could kidnap you right now If I wanted to.” The man said as he reached his hand over and locked the car again Clink.  My eyes gazed over to meet his as I slowly looked him over. I couldn’t see much of him but he seemed to be in his early twenties. I felt his eyes on me, and I turned as quick as lightning. 

“Quiet I see...so what's your name?” He still was parked on the side of the road. 

“Amelia Alinsky” I said softly making my voice almost as quiet as a mouse. There was a moment of silence before the light quickly turned on his eyes got big. 

“You mean Princess Amelia Alinsky?” He said firmly looking towards me as he looked me over. I nodded and looked down towards my feet. My socks were drenched along with my black converse. 

“Woah Woah Woah you’re seriously Princess Amelia Alinsky?!” He said getting louder by the moment in disbelief. 

“I am, now who are you, sir?” I said sitting up straighter and looking at him before moving my drenched brunette hair off my shoulders. 

“I’m Xavier..” he said still looking me over. He stopped when his eyes finally met mine. The rain finally came to a dead stop. I started to reach my hand for the door to leave since it had stopped. 

“Wait where are you going princess?” he quickly said. My hand stayed on the door forgetting he had it locked it. 

“Out of the car?” I said confused looking him over again. I could now see his fluffy brunette hair. It looked as if he has blue eyes but I wasn’t positive. Clink. The door was unlocked and now was my chance to make sure I wouldn’t be kidnapped by this man. I knew it was rude to keep referring to him like that but using his name felt wrong. 

“Thanks..” I said quietly getting out and shutting the door. I heard another door slam shut. It was a hard slam, I didn’t turn to look or see who shut the door. I just bolted up the sidewalk and down the road.

“Princess where are you going?!” I heard his voice call out before hearing footsteps come behind me starting to rush. I sighed and stopped dead in my tracks.

“Do you need something, sir?” I said waiting for him to catch up. I looked at him, his eyes were light blue like the ocean. I smiled at him and held my hands in front of myself. 

“Uh yeah...Mind telling me what a princess is doing out here alone?” he asked nervously and looked at me his eye meeting mine. 

“That is none of your business” I said, sounding confident. 

“I can drive you back to the castle if you’d like” He said looking at me with a gentle smile. My heart dropped and it felt like I had just been run over a million times. I felt the fear arise in me.

“No!” I yelled and looked at him with fear in my eyes. He looked shocked at my sudden outburst. 

Damn, why don’t you wanna go back?” He said sticking his hands in his pockets and starting to walk. The road was still wet and every once in and while a car was speed past us. The warm air was sticky as gum. 

“If I go back it’s me and that crown...I’m not ready to take over” I sighed looking at the ground. 

“I think it would be pretty cool to be a queen..a lot of work but worth it in the end” He said, looking over at me and smiling.

“I mean I guess but what If I’m not cut out for the job after all?” I made slight eye contact with him. 

“Oh trust me you have been doing amazing at being a princess I know you will crush it as queen” I couldn’t help but smile when he said that. I had only done a couple of things as the princess, such as going to homeless shelters and attending events. I didn’t think people had noticed. 

“I mean I guess what’s holding me back is all that responsibility” I looked around t the trees as the wind blew them.

“I mean isn’t that what those little fancy helpers are for?” He asked moving his hands around as he described it. 

“Uh yeah” I tried to hold back my laughter as he shrugged it off.

“So they are there to support you and help you along the way make your decisions,” He said stopping and I came to a stop and looked at him as he started to head back towards the direction of his car. 

“I guess..” I said pushing my still wet hair as I watched him leave towards his car. 

“Are you coming?” he asked as he stopped to take a quick glance at me.

“Where are you going…?” the confusion filled the air. 

“To get you back to the castle?” he said looking at her starting to move to get in again. 

“I told you I don’t want to go back,” the fear rose inside of her “I don’t want to take over!” she cried out.

“Princess, I promise it’s going to be okay I’ll make sure everything works out,” he said seeming sure of what he had just told her. She looked at him you could tell she wanted to trust him.

“How will you do that?” she said making eye contact with him. 

He looked at her as a smile grew on his face. “I’ll go with you and make sure you’re properly taken care of”

I smiled and hesitantly said “Please don’t leave me,” she said and his face changed from a smile to a worried look.

“I won’t but let’s go we need to get you back.” he smiled as they both hopped into his black malibu. A smile grew on her face as she sat there in silence. As the car started to drive Xavier focused on the road ahead that started to get as slim as a colored pencil as he drove to the castle. As I watched the road the memories started to flood back to me,  I walked into the living room and smiles as I saw my mom sitting on one of the leather sofas.

“Hey hun, I was just meaning to talk to you” she exclaimed setting her book down. She stood up to look at me.

“About?” I asked confused looking at her as she smiled as bright as a yellow highlighter.

“It’s time my dear” She took my hand and squeezed it lightly.

I looked at her confused “Time for what?”

“You took to take over as queen sweetheart.” Her smile grew on her face. 

“What?! Are you crazy!? No!!” I yelled as I quickly ran for the door and pushed past the guards.

“Princess Amelia!” One guard called out but didn’t bother to chase after me.  I kept running and running as far as I could when the rain started to pour down and my dress started to turn into a darker blue.

As my mind finished its race, I looked around as Xavier’s eyes fell on me. 

“We’re almost there,” He gave me a kind smile as I nodded and looked out the window as I saw the castle appear from the distance. The castle was big and glamorous looking, it looked clean as the gate was shiny and guards stood outside dressed in their shiny armor.  Xavier pulled up to the guards as rolled down his window.

“I have a very special person with me,” He said as he gestured to me. The guard’s eyes grew large and quickly ran to open the shiny gate glistened in the sun that had appeared since we got into the car. 

“Welcome home princess,” said one of the guards with a smile beaming on his face. Xavier drove in slowly and followed the long gravel road to the castle entrance. As soon as we reached the entrance my mom dashed out the door in her light green ball dress with her hair pulled back in a bun. I stepped out my dress was back to a baby blue and my hair was no longer a drenched brunette. My mom smiled and she quickly ran to give me a hug, she noticed when Xavier got out of the car and she quickly went into protective mom mode standing in front of me. 

“Who’s the man?” she asked looking him over slowly.

I sighed and gestured at him like he had done to me “This is Xavier he gave me a ride.” 

My mom’s face grew from a confused look to a smile and she quickly hugged him and his smile never faded. 

“Thank you so much, please come in!” She said quickly and started to walk inside. Xavier waited till I started in before he followed behind. 

“Mom, I think we’re going to head up to my bedroom” I smiled at her. She looked sad at first but then nodded and I motioned for Xavier to follow me. Once we made it to my room he smiled and shut the door behind him. I didn’t understand why he had shut the door but as soon as I heard the click of the door an alarm went off in my head. 

“Why’d you lock the door?” I asked backing up from him slowly as the fear rose in me.

“Oh no reason,” he said holding his hands behind his back holding something. I looked at him nervously before sitting down on my bed watching him. 

My eyes follows his hands as they were still behind his back “What are you doing?” 

“You know princess, you’re kind of stupid...trusting a stranger,” he said as a grin grew on his face. 

“I-...” I sat there speechless not sure what to say.

“See I told you I wouldn’t leave you...you’re leaving me” he smiled as a bang sounded and the whole castle started to go in alarm, the bang had been as loud as a lion's roar. The princess was killed, by who? By the stranger she trusted.