FREEDOM | Teen Ink

FREEDOM

By COGIC*Girl#1 GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
COGIC*Girl#1 GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma

how can we say freedom is here while a gay cant walk down the street without being called names
how can we say freedom when to this day interacial marriages are still given dirty looks
how can we say freedom when we are not yet free from interrogation and humiliation
how can we say freedom when we are yet being push around by the government
how can we say freedom when there are children dying from hunger and disease
how can we say freedom while we are hearing about terrism
how can we say freedom as the military men and women are being deploid regulary
how can we say it
how can we say it
we say it in the need to help and protect
we say it in the effort to educate
we say it because of freedom of speech
we say it because in the united states there are going to be hard trials,
but with every hard trial the united states people
we come together to overpower the bad and create more of the good
we do have trials some have been overcome and others still yet to come
but even with those
we say freedom

i wrote this piece because someone has to hit some issues that this country faces and you know that sometimes the truth isnt pretty but with every critique that is made can make you grow which is health and so i said this to show that we have issues and were not a perfect country but we are different from other countries.
that why i wrote it to be the person to speak up about the issues

on Jun. 21 2009 at 3:25 am
COGIC*Girl#1 GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
this was a piece that i wanted to write i guess you could say to bring up and out of the shadows was up and some of the comments i felt that it didnt matter if i had different thoughts going because this social poem to to bring up different social issues and everyone of the issues that i brought up are issues that are in the United States so i like to say that thanks for the comments and if anyone has a question on why i did a certain thing in my poem please comment me and ill try to comment back to any of your questions A.S.A.P

so comment anytime you like and ill comment you

girl i totally agree with this although a lot of the ones who wrote to you had some critism im not going to say any critism i thought this was an awesome piece girl you did you thing you have tones of passion for what you do. i have read all of your pieces and this one takes the cake you go girl;

holla throw your hands up

Fangz PLATINUM said...
Fangz PLATINUM, Ware, Massachusetts

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.

I agree with you jaquie, about how it is much worse other places and that we should be greatful, but it is still terrible in a lot of ways here, and writing stuff like this sends the message thet we won't settle for better than the worst.

on Jun. 12 2009 at 3:43 am
SmileyRiley PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois

"You can be a victor without having victims and you can stand tall without standing on someone"

I totaly disagree i thought you captured your ideas in a very well thought out manor. i really like this poem and i put it in my favorites for my about me. :)

on Jun. 12 2009 at 3:15 am
burritocat SILVER, Denver, Colorado

What matters an eternity of damnation to someone who has found in one second the infinity of joy? - Charles Baudelaire

i like your poem-you really got into an issue we are all facing

on Jun. 12 2009 at 2:47 am
jennnnnnn BRONZE, Irvine, California
i also like your idea, but i thought the way you presented could have been better. i like the points you mentioned, and i agree with you on a lot of them. with a little more creativity and practice, you could improve greatly. good work :) comment back please!

amyxu said...
on Jun. 12 2009 at 1:06 am
You have a good start here and I like the pattern of the poem. But the poem compares completely different things, such as a gay person being called names and a child dying from hunger and disease. Since the issues discussed are so varied, it is hard to group them into the same poem. If the topics were more focused, perhaps on political issues or hunger issues or whatever issues, the poem would be clearer and easier to follow. But overall, I enjoyed the pattern and rhythm to your poem. It has a lot of potential! :)

awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

I like the idea but some of the

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

I thought your poem was very nice, and well written. I think perhaps your views are a bit skewed. (I say this in hopes that you'll listen to mine without criticism; as I did to yours.) No, our government is not perfect. No; it isn't even close. I'm not saying I support it... But I am saying that they're trying at least. Someone, somewhere has good intentions for our country. No, we don't support gays in our country. But we give them opportunities that they can't find many others places. No, we're not perfect. But if we just suck it up and be greatful... So many people in the world would kill to be where we are now. A place where we can share our religion and views. Chances are if we live here we have more than 95% of the world. Thats how many people struggle to find a meal each day. Do you think they care about gay rights? What your doing here is complaining about a paper-cut on your finger when your actually dying from internal bleeding. Yes, the issues that you brought up were very pressing and require a moment of thought and action. But when you compare the benefits of either fighting for two guys to get married or for children in Africa, and China, and thousands of places I don't even know the names of; who are starving and dying. It makes you wonder doesn't it. I know what I'd rather fight for. You say that we aren't free. And you won't be free unless you let go of your worries and complaints about what you have. When you let go of the mundane and make it through the day, fed, healthy, and alive. When those rights are threaten then you can complain. Because right now, the only thing your a slave to is yourself. I really did enjoy your piece. Keep writing and don't loose your passion.

God bless,

...,