Let It Vanish | Teen Ink

Let It Vanish

By jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah
jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul....wisdom is better than silver or gold."

"You can always close a book, but you can never close the mind of a writer."

When May comes around and the year is coming to an end
the 9th graders become sentimental, trying to hold on.
They run their fingers up and down the lockers
and make last memories.

But some of them are foolish trying to keep the
things implanted in their mind. The things you love
will stay on their own...you cant force a memory to stay.

When you spin away the combination and
close your locker for the last time, you have the last
moment to take it all in…to smell the halls, to remember
the ringing of the bell. To see the person next to you.

You have the chance to walk through the school and
say "I remember this time" or look at all the different
classes and doors. You can hug your teachers goodbye
and leave your friends behind.

You can try and try to hang on to everything about that year.
But you really can't. Too much precious time, too many regrets,
do you really want that forever? Do you need that
reminder of that failed test…of that rejection…
of that heartbreak? Do you really want to keep all of this…?

Find the courage to say goodbye to that best friend. Take
the chance of forgetting that moment of laughter. Hold on
to things you can't live without, but let go of what needs to
vanish.

I once made the mistake of trying to hold on to a special year. In the end, I only became sick when I though of it. Sometimes the easiest and safest thing to do is to let go of things. A special thing will always stay in your memory, but there are always things that need to "vanish".

Hugs-N-Kisses GOLD, Alta Vista, Kansas
the idea is good, but there really isnt a rhythm to it, no beat...keep writing, you are you worst critic.

icguf615 BRONZE, Mission Viejo, California
i likethe concept, but i agree with Fangz, i think u should maybe try to revamp it a little adn add more poetic devices. but the concept is really interesting

Fangz PLATINUM said...
Fangz PLATINUM, Ware, Massachusetts

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.

Its a nice sentiment, and decently written, but its not really a poem, its a monologue.

MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio

"Life's a mountain on a beach"-Unknown
"Will: This is either madness or brilliance. Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."-Pirates of the Caribbean:Curse of the Black Pearl.

This is really awesome, i'm one of the people who have a hard time with change and letting things go. Your right, after a while it can become too much.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Wow. This was beautifully written and dreadfully sad. But I must admit you are write. Keep it up.

God bless,

...,

LilJ<3 GOLD said...
LilJ<3 GOLD, Gloucester, Virginia
This poem express what a lot of people feel at the end of a school year. But also in bigger situations in life. I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for commenting on my poem as well. :). You are a great writter and i hope you share you writting with the world so they see how talented you really are.

Good Luck in everything that you do,

Jackie

cree8ive GOLD said...
cree8ive GOLD, Billings, Montana

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Mariane Williamson

thank you for commenting on my poem, "Head over Heels". let me begin by saying i really love the content of your poem, it's a great message. i don't really agree with the way you set up your stanzas... it's almost like you wrote in prose and then put each sentence on it's own line. i think you need to develope more of a rythym and that will make it more "poemy". but it's your poem, and if you want to keep the style the same, feel free to. again, i really like what the poem is about.

PinkPrincess GOLD, Wellington, Florida

I think therefore I am

wow. wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, i mean this is so true you are totally right about things needing to just vanish. this is such a great poem! keep writing, i love it

Bookwormwriter SILVER, Centerville, Ohio
Again, i love it! so realistic, and i absolutley love your style of writing!

Keep writing

forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Wow. this is so hard to read because everyone goes through with this. i recently did. i love how you can make me think so much afterwards. you're a great writer... keep it going. [and thanks for your feed back on my poem]

Laura Hahn BRONZE, Colchester, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Great poem! Completely true! I loved the emotion you put into it! Thanks so much for commenting on my Holocaust poem!

CreativeEmptiness SILVER, East Boston, Massachusetts

You Live To Die..

This is so nice. I like the message that u wrote about. This teached me 2 let go of the hurtful things thatz happen to me

Jessievangee GOLD, Burlington, Massachusetts
This is great! I love the whole idea of having to let things go.

kristent BRONZE, Culdesac, Idaho
i really like this one. you have a very individual style and you put some of yourself in your writing. not many people can do that so great job!

Sydney(: BRONZE, N/a, New Hampshire
I Love this(: it completely sums up how i feel about leaving behind the best years of my lifee(:

YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

This was great! It really does wrap up the way teenagers can feel at the end of a school year and you have a great way of expressing yourself.

Lostinbooks said...
Lostinbooks, Arcadia, California
It's good! It captures the end of the school year perfectly... Nice blend of sensory details and ideas with strong feelings...

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
Very nice. It's true that people are nostalgic and hold on to things that they should forget. Great poem!

KDtheGhostwriter GOLD, Jefferson City, Missouri

"You are not special; And I am no hero."

Excellent work. I will say this about letting things go. I once had to say goodbye to my two best friends in the world. Three to four years later, we found each other and it's likely that we won't lose touch again. They say that if you love something, let it go and if it comes back...well, you probably know the rest. All very good points. There's no need to get sentimental about leaving school, or childhood behind. These are far from the "best years" of our lives in contrary to what your elders may think. I have reason to believe that things can only get better and brighter as we go through life. Thank you for your comments on my piece, and thank you again for writing this. Great work!

mandygale77 said...
The formatting is very unique, this is one of the more wordy poems I've read. I love the idea and your wording! I do have to say that it would be better not to put a specific grade at the beginning, because this could work for any, really. This is a really good poem!