Girl vs World | Teen Ink

Girl vs World

By Vakiya Glaspie BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Vakiya Glaspie BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"The truth is everyone in this would is going to hurt you you just got to find the people worth suffering for."
-bob marley

I've become accustomed to silence, I know better than to raise my voice and talk about freedom and choice because I am both a girl and black, so in society's mind I lack the need for words, I don't need to be heard. My presence already somehow speaks volumes about my worth.  The constant want to defend my race gets swallowed whole by the unattainable fear of being judged by my peers, I don't know why I care what they think, when it comes to that my self-confidence always sinks into the ocean of doubts that society drinks out of and then proceeds to spit us back out and tell us to stop being weak after we've been cleansed from self-worth and the willingness to give a f***.

I remember writing this piece and feeling so conflicted yet never been more awoke of my emotions. Being able to read how you feel yet never out loud said is something beyond words. Of course any rational person could agree that sometimes stating stuff u think isn't always wise, I guess im testing that theory as a irrational person.