Comparing Players | Teen Ink

Comparing Players

By MicahMorrison GOLD, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia
MicahMorrison GOLD, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia

"It's not too late, it's never too late" -Three Days Grace

What’s the deal with comparing famous athletes? Comparing athletes such as Messi and Ronaldo, Ovechkin and Crosby, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, or maybe even Lebron James and Micheal Jordan. All of these athletes are amazingly gifted and talented players. Messi and Ronaldo are easiest to compare because they are both soccer players that play midfield/wing forward. Manning and Brady? Well, you can’t lie about the wide receivers that Brady had. But when you look at stats, Manning is a great QB. Then you have Lebron and Jordan, which is simple. Jordan is from an older time period than Lebron , done. My least favorite comparison is Alex Ovechkin or Sydney Crosby, the “Great 8” or “Syd the Kid. Crosby was placed on a team with super star athletes. Malkin, Letang, Flurey, and a few others. Ovevhkin’s teammates were good, but none like the on Penguins roster. Don’t mistake my words, Crosby is a GREAT player! But Ovechkin IS the best goal scorer in the entire world. Some of you may ask how I’ve come to that conclusion, it’s simple. Alexander Ovechkin plays in the National Hockey League (NHL). He has won the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy, awarded to the player with most goals at the end of the regular season for NHL team, the past 2 or 3 seasons. You may say what about other leagues? Well, the NHL is the best league on the planet. Therefore, Ovechkin is the best at scoring goals. If you look at the stats when Crosby isn’t playing, the Penguins are still winning consistently. When you look at the Capitals stats when Ovechkin isn’t playing, not as good OR consistent. Luckily for the Washington Capitals, Ovechkin rarely gets hurt. But what’s the deal with comparing players that are in different situations? Anyway, they are all a LOT better than us, so why does it matter?

I am working on a piece with stats and everything comparing Crosby and Ovechkin. So this a little preview of the "Ovechkin or Crosby" article--Coming Soon