Hunting | Teen Ink

Hunting

By ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

Hockey, baseball, softball, gymnastics, track & field, golf, football, cross country: these are all sports. There are of course, sports I am yet to discover, and other sports I did not list. One sport I did not list is hunting, and that is due to the fact that hunting is cruel.

People staking out with guns shooting innocent, vulnerable animals, that’s the basics of hunting. When you say it that way doesn’t it sound horrific? That’s because it is. Several hunters argue that they are “balancing out” the “over-population” of deer, but they’re just improvising, so they sound professional. Deer can fend for themselves, and they have been for countless years before humans came along and violently murdered them. The circle of life balances out without us being monstrous.

Is hunting really a sport? Well, technically, they do need aim, but their medals are deer heads, and I think the deer would’ve wanted more respect than that. I mean, would you want people pointing at you and chuckling, “That’s the deer? He really is big!”? My point is all it takes is an aim of a gun to hunt.

Most hunters don’t even consume their prey. They do it to look macho, and in my opinion, it’s really just malicious. They’re wasting food, and fatally injuring animals all at once! I’m not implying all hunters do that because some probably do eat it, but unless they are in danger of starving to death, I highly doubt they need that animal.

Hunting is unnecessary. Just because we are capable of shooting helpless animals doesn’t mean it’s mandatory. I don’t expect everyone in the world to become vegetarians, but I believe we should only kill another being when necessary.

It's okay to disagree with me, but I hope I can really show people how devastating hunting is.

camohunter19 GOLD, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"Girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say No when they mean Yes, and drive a man out of his wits for the fun of it." "Violence is never the answer! It is a question, and the answer is yes."

Have you ever heard of death? It's a requirement  for life. God put animals on the earth for food. We have been eating deer for thousands of years! It would'nt be a crime id we continued.

Dayne22 SILVER said...
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"- Leonardo DaVinci "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are" -Markus Zusak "I'm just trying to be me... Whoever that is" Unknown

Where to start...Where to start...okay so guess what I'm a hunter...I've gotten two deer and countless rabbits...hunting is hard...i'd rather play NFL than hunt sometimes you wake up at 4:00 and hike your lungs out and sometimes you don't even see any big game! When i kill a deer i gut it i tear open it's body and take what can be eaten (even the liver and heart) the rest goes out for the coyotes ya know...and the population of deer is fine! animals die...they are hunted by other animals right!?  I have lets see 4 trophies (if ya know what i mean in my den and countless others at my dad's shop...and he just got a huge oryx last weekend and i don't see the oryx population being threatened! look at california when they banned hunting mountain lions...people would go hiking and bam a mt. lions would jump out and take em' for dessert!  imagine if we hunters were there hunting a few a year taking out a couple from the population...there wouldn't be so many of them and they probably wouldn't have to go and kill humans its almost the life cycle in action!! Oh and guess what im a carnivore every meal i have has to HAS TO have meat in it...so yeah just thought i'd let you know that

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

Thanks, and I'm a vegetarian, too.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This is so true. I am a vegetarian who believes that people can eat meat when necessary. But hunting, is completely unnecessary when so many animals are killed already.

Hunting shouldn't be used to keep down population because we are the reason that populations are so high. Humans kill off the predators, and the prey overpopulate. Some people may consider hunting a sport, but it's a very sad one.