B.C.S. Bust | Teen Ink

B.C.S. Bust

January 13, 2010
By Edg@rAl1anPoe BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Edg@rAl1anPoe BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All you need is love"


Some people say that the Bowl Championship Series finally got it right. But an overall vote and projection to see who gets to play in the NCAA football national championship game is not the only way to go. For many, a playoff would seem to be the better option. Bringing a playoff into the college football world offers the following: a fair chance to the championship game for all teams, more excitement and viewers, and a happier fan base.
First off, putting a playoff in college football allows each team a fair chance to be crowned champion. During the 2008-2009 season, the Utah Utes’ football team went undefeated (13-0) and still didn’t get to participate in the national championship while the Florida Gators, who went 12-1 did. The reason being the 12-1 team played harder teams, or had a tougher schedule, than the 13-0 team. Who knows who the better team is, if they played each other, who would win? The predicaments can all be solved with a playoff system. Using a playoff system, one could find out which team truly deserves the national championship instead of picking two teams to play and hoping they are the ones that truly deserve it, leaving other teams furious and disappointed for not even getting the chance to play.


A second reason college football should adopt a playoff system is to increase viewers and the excitement of the game. With the current system, college football has two pre determined teams playing each other to win the national championship. People love the college basketball tournament because there’s always a chance for an underdog team to win. Wouldn’t it be great if they added this type of excitement to college football? Also, wouldn’t it solidify a team’s right to call themselves national champions if they won it through a playoff, proving themselves against all contenders? The simple answer to these questions is yes. Adding a playoff adds the above elements to the game ultimately adding more viewers and excitement.
The final reason college football should use a playoff system is to satisfy and maintain the fan base. I’m sure that when Utah went undefeated last year and didn’t even get the chance to play in the championship the Utes’ fans were pulling their hair out asking themselves, “What more could they have done? You can’t argue with undefeated.” This problem in very unfair to fans and teams alike. Lucky for them, a playoff system would eliminate these problems, making the great fans of college football much happier.
So, why settle for the biased and inconclusive voting when you can give fans and teams a fairer, equal chance to win the championship? Introducing a playoff system to college football would upgrade so much in an already great sport.


The author's comments:
This is simply the best article ever.