Can Science Really Save Women's Sports? | Teen Ink

Can Science Really Save Women's Sports?

March 14, 2024
By KevinHernand BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland
KevinHernand BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Fellow Athletes, Governing Bodies, and Sports Enthusiasts,

 


The roar of the crowd echoed in my ears as my sister smashed a line drive deep into the outfield. Watching her play softball has always instilled in me a deep appreciation for the dedication, teamwork, and pure joy of competitive sports. But lately, the thrill of the game has been overshadowed by a complex question; how do we ensure fairness and inclusivity for all athletes, including transgender individuals?

 

The current binary system of male/female divisions is under scrutiny. While proponents of transgender inclusion emphasize the importance of participation and belonging, concerns about unfair competition linger.  An article from the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio highlights a crucial point: there's a lack of conclusive scientific evidence to definitively prove a significant athletic advantage for transgender women who adhere to hormone therapy guidelines .  Focusing solely on sex assigned at birth ignores the spectrum of human biology and the potential for cisgender women with naturally high testosterone levels to have an advantage. 

 

Opponents of transgender inclusion often cite the case of Lia Thomas, a transgender swimmer who dominated her competition. However, the ACLU points out that Thomas had already transitioned and competed for several years on the men's team before joining the women's division, raising questions about the specific circumstances of her case. 

 

The solution might not lie in separate divisions, which could further marginalize transgender athletes.  As Member of Parliament Pierre Poilievre argues, focusing solely on biological sex creates a narrow view of athletic ability. Perhaps a more flexible system is needed, one that considers individual factors like performance metrics and adherence to hormone therapy regulations. 

 

Examples of successful adaptation already exist. Weightlifting, for instance, categorizes athletes based on weight classes, not just sex assigned at birth.  Similarly, exploring performance-based divisions or even individualized qualifying standards within existing sports could create a more balanced playing field. 

 

Ultimately, ensuring fair and inclusive competition requires open dialogue, ongoing research, and collaboration.  Athletes, governing bodies, and scientists should work together to develop solutions that acknowledge the complexities of human biology and performance while upholding the core values of sportsmanship and inclusivity.  Let's strive for a future where everyone can compete on a level playing field, pushing boundaries and achieving their full potential, regardless of gender identity.

 

Works Cited


Opsahl, Robin. "Ernst Speaks Against Transgender Athletes in women’s Sports as Title IX Hits Year 50." St.Joseph News - Press, Jun 22, 2023. ProQuest, proquest.com/newspapers/ernst-speaks-against-transgender-athletes-women-s/docview/2828544371/se-2.


"Poilievre, PM Spar on Gender Issues: Conservative Leader Against Transgender Women in Female Bathrooms, Change Rooms and Sports." Niagara Falls Review, Feb 22, 2024. ProQuest, proquest.com/newspapers/poilievre-pm-spar-on-gender-issues/docview/2929387370/se-2.


"Alaska Dispatch: Alaska Sports Association Decides Against Barring Transgender Girls from Girls Teams for Now." Alaska Dispatch, May 03, 2023. ProQuest, proquest.com/newspapers/alaska-dispatch-sports-association-decides/docview/2808429003/se-2.