A Rink Filled With Skill and Passion | Teen Ink

A Rink Filled With Skill and Passion

By matthewdevencentis123 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
matthewdevencentis123 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

A rink, a stick, a puck, and 12 players creating the best sport in the world, hockey. The majority of people appreciate the fast-paced game of hockey. When children are young, ice skating is a fun thing to do with friends. Seeing eachother trip and fall on the ice realizing it isn't as easy as it looked on TV. The game is just different and more difficult than any other, gliding across the ice while keeping the puck in control.  Even though it can be harmful, the players have to maintain good physical condition to reduce injuries.  There’s never a boring moment in the game of hockey so spectators enjoy watching the skillful plays made by players.

The fact that hockey is such an aggressive and fast-paced activity is one of the main reasons it's so much fun to watch. The fans' excitement is heightened by the speed because there's never a dull moment. Additionally, it travels far faster than other sports, like football or baseball, which can take so long making it boring to watch. The fighting and hitting into the boards also serves as a tempo booster, building the game's energy getting the players and fans hyped. The scoring opportunities for both sides, at both ends of the rink, keep fans at the edge of their seats.  

Based on statistical data, playing hockey for just two weeks can significantly increase your strength. Increasing your strength and health is very important as we grow up and become adults. The physical demands of hockey are a large reason people watch hockey. They love to watch the big checks, dekes, and dangles, so commonly used in hockey. A deke is a term used to describe a deceptive movement that induces an opponent to move out of position. Moves in hockey can be noticed by even the distracted people in the stands, by just seeing the skills you just know that it was incredibly difficult. To make this even better these skills are done at speeds that are about 25 mph and the average shot is 90-100 mph. Even though hockey seems more dangerous than a sport like soccer, players are well suited to get hit hard with the equipment they wear. This equipment ranges from shin pads, protective pants, cup, chest and shoulder protector, elbow pads, gloves and most importantly a helmet. 

Although the fighting is intense when happening, the players are able to learn sportsmanship and respect during the games. Having the respect and sportsmanship for other players even if they just hit you into a board is something that takes growth and time. Learning respect and knowing it's just for the game can then be used as players get older when they move outside of just the sport. Being on a hockey team allows players to bond and grow a strong friendship between each other. Trusting each other on the rink correlates to the outside world as we learn to trust one another.

Compared to what most people believe, hockey seems to be a far better sport. It builds friendships, builds discipline, keeps you active while building up your strength and most importantly is extremely fun. Not only is it fun to play but it is exhilarating to watch. The game of hockey is played in over 100 countries around the world and is still growing to this day. The next time you see or think about hockey, consider what you have read and start giving it the credit it deserves. Perhaps you'll give hockey a shot. 

I been playing hockey my whole life. Ive grown so much from playing and hope other people can have the same experience