Why Do We Swim? | Teen Ink

Why Do We Swim?

March 12, 2020
By goddess_of_caffeine BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
goddess_of_caffeine BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Why do we swim? We swim for the cries of "we're halfway there" in the middle of a hard set, for the special little traditions with your teammates, for the shared pain that makes us closer, for the family that is your team that believes in youeven when you don't believe in yourself. The same team that notifies when you get better, that laughs with, teases, and slightly makes fun of you. That turns the little things into inside jokes, from "Kate's out" to "Upper America.' Your team becomes your family in the ways that matter. They pick you up after every bad race with a hug, Pepper talk, food, or all of the above. They spend some of the best weekends with you, dropping seconds, making "Salad Gods, The Game", not to mention randomly bursting into song, quoting vines, and talking for hours about everything and nothing at the exact same time. Your team knows your deepest secrets and can casually switch from talking about food, to social inequalities and problems of the patriarchy, to singing an obscure song from a random StarKid musical, to literally anything. We swim to get better, but mainly we swim for our team.