How To Get Recruited by Multiple Colleges for Softball | Teen Ink

How To Get Recruited by Multiple Colleges for Softball

By baileyp5 BRONZE, Inkster, Michigan
baileyp5 BRONZE, Inkster, Michigan

This is an article on how you can get recruited by multiple colleges for softball and what the coaches are looking for. There are many steps that need to be taken in order to set you on the right path to your recruiting process. This process takes a lot of time and isn’t easy, it can be stressful at times. If you’re dedicated and put in the work both on and off the field your chances of getting successfully recruited are high. However the process isn’t just on the athlete, it’s also on the parents and coach(es). But the responsibility of making sure everything is done and staying on top of it is up to the athlete completely. So let’s get into the steps that are going to successfully guide you through your recruiting journey.

The first step of your journey is connecting with an organization that teaches you the ins and outs of this complicated process. For example, NCSA, NCAA, MaxPreps, or NJCAA. Also, 80% of D1 coaches rely on travel ball camps and recruiting organizations for their scouting resources. But, keep in mind the earlier you start the better advantage you have, don’t wait until your junior or senior year of high school because by then it’s already too late. Coaches aren’t allowed to contact you until your junior but that doesn’t mean you can’t let them know you’re interested. Send more than one email out because they get thousands of emails a day, make yours stand out. Keep in touch with them, make yourself seen. Make sure you have more than one college in mind, keep multiple(there’s no limit) the more the better. You might not get accepted into all of them, or maybe you will but it’s always good to have backups, especially if you are aiming for D1 schools. But, remember even though D1 schools have more money to give out for scholarships it isn’t easy to get noticed by them. You’re going to have to put in extra work.

Your second step would be staying active and in shape. You must do good on and off the field because your athleticism isn’t the only thing they’re watching. Coaches are watching how you do in school, your grades, if you attend classes regularly, or if you’re getting in trouble. Are you getting into fights? Are you being disrespectful to teachers? Are your grades bad? If you answered yes to any of these then it’s important that you either stay away from these things or fix them immediately, as that can affect your chances of getting into a good school. Having a poor attitude and bad sportsmanship are not going to benefit you either. Your personality on and off the field both matter, just because your personality on the field is better than when you’re off doesn’t mean anything. Being able to take criticism from your coach and teammates and be coachable. If your coach is yelling to you about something or criticizing something you did don’t take it to heart, they’re only telling you because they want you to get better.  

This piece is about the steps you need to take and things to look out for while going through the college sport recruiting process.