Follower | Teen Ink

Follower

By throughhim21 SILVER, Independence, Virginia
throughhim21 SILVER, Independence, Virginia

"I write not for the sake of glory, not for the sake of fame, not for the sake of success, but for the sake of my soul." -Rachel Joy Scott

Sometimes my youth group really blows my mind, and not in a good way. They’re a great group of kids, and my leaders are phenomenal, but still. They are so judgmental. Now I imagine you thinking something along the lines of Wow. That was a really hypocritical and not to mention judgmental thing for this girl to say. And I guess it is. But hear me out. Just as an example, gay marriage.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I believe same sex marriage is a sin, period. Don’t get offended. If you’re entitled to date who you want, I’m entitled to have an opinion about it. But see, that’s just it. It’s a sin. But guess what else is? Lying; cheating; lust; gossip; and, yes, judging where you have no room to judge.
So let me ask you this. Do we, as Christians, really have the right to sit around and judge others behind their backs? No. Come on people! Christians. Or, by definition, Christ followers. What did Christ do? He loved everyone, unconditionally. Not just the people who go to church, make the grade, and choose the right lifestyle. In fact, I’ve noticed that Jesus doesn’t seem to get upset with those people. He just tells them to go and sin no more. The people who really seem to drive Jesus up the wall are the “religious folk”. A.K.A., the hypocrites.
Something else I’ve noticed: you can’t show people love when you’re judging them. You have to interact with them, get to know them, and accept them for who they are. But with the kids at church talk, they avoid gay people like death. And actually seem to be proud of it. I mean, God wouldn’t want them to sully their delicate hands with sinners, right? No! Wrong, wrong, wrong! Really? Christ followers? And they say to pray for our country, for the kids at our school, but what are we praying for? Who’s going to fix this if not the Christians?
So basically what I’m trying to say is this: we may be his hands; we may be his feet; but if we’re not beating with his heart it’s nothing. WWJD. What would Jesus do? Shun the hurting, the broken, and the lost? Ignore the ones that need him the most? Because that’s not the Christ I know. And that’s not the kind of follower I’m going to be.

This was a deeply personal thing for me to write. I know this article is a bit controversial, and not everyone will agree with it. But this is how I see it, and I hope you will take the time to read it.

Thank you so much :)

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is so true. We should all just learn to love and accept each other, no matter what. Being a Christian doesn't mean shunning other people at all. I really like your article - you're incredibly and refreshingly honest :)

Thanks! I really enjoyed your article as well!

KandiceMichelle PLATINUM, Stansonburg, North Carolina

"Yet God has made everything BEAUTIFUL for its own time. He has planted ETERNITY in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." -Ecclesiastes 3:11

I love the way you write!! You are very straight forward, and you aren't scared to say what is on your mind! This was a well written article too :) I wish more people saw things like we do :)

throughHim21 said...
Thank you for that. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about psting this. And your story is very encouraging! Luke 9:23 tells us to follow Christ we have will take up our cross and deny ourselves. Thanks again, and keep doing what you're doing! :)

Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas

"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4

Amazing! Very well put. I experience the same thing at my youth group. Youth is supposed to be a safe haven, when, in realitly, it's filled with cliques and gossip. I love my church, but I dislike the fact that certain groups tend to exclude people... that's how I got my name. I'm the outcast at my church. But that's okay, because when someone new comes along, I don't treat them like viruses. I welcome them and offer to sit with them. Anyone who wants to sit and talk with me is welcome. Many churchs are hypocritical, saying one thing and doing another, as you've experienced. I'm glad you posted this.