Are you Alive? | Teen Ink

Are you Alive?

July 31, 2008
By Anonymous

I walked through my school one day, observing my surroundings. I studied everyone around me, taking it all in. All these people. Some were big, some were small, some were white, some were black. It was one big hodgepodge of chatty teenagers. But a question arose in my head, 'What are they living for?'. I mean, do they even have a reason to be here? Come one! We've got to be here to live for something! This topic has been debated for a long time by philosophers and politicians alike. 'What is the meaning of life?' they ask. People have written books and devoted their whole lives to finding out what it's about. People have given all kinds of answers from a meaningless life, a religious life, a fun life, etc is the answer. I read one book by a man who believed we had exactly 5 purposes in life, it was a great book. But I disagree. Here's my two cents: You have but one purpose in life. To Be Alive. It's not about what you do, who you know, or how much fun you are. It's about, when you're on your deathbed, can you look back and really say 'I was Alive'. Or even today, can you introspectively view your life, and say 'I Am Alive'? Are you Really living? We take what we've been given for granted so much. We don't realize how much of a gift life really is. A great man once said 'A purposeless life, is no life at all'. I know what I live for. How about you? I live for the man who said 'I've come for you to have life, and have it to the fullest'. He's given me purpose, meaning, and peace. What are you living for? Can you honestly claim to be 'Alive', in the fullest of it's meaning? I hope you reach that point. Until then, as it says in my favorite movie says, 'You either get busy living, or you get busy dying'.


The author's comments:
My name is Jordan. I'm an audacious, tenacious, articulate teenager that Loves God and Loves People.