Are you Alive? | Teen Ink

Are you Alive?

I walked through my school one day, observing my surroundings. I studied everyone around me, taking it all in. All these people. Some were big, some were small, some were white, some were black. It was one big hodgepodge of chatty teenagers. But a question arose in my head, 'What are they living for?'. I mean, do they even have a reason to be here? Come one! We've got to be here to live for something! This topic has been debated for a long time by philosophers and politicians alike. 'What is the meaning of life?' they ask. People have written books and devoted their whole lives to finding out what it's about. People have given all kinds of answers from a meaningless life, a religious life, a fun life, etc is the answer. I read one book by a man who believed we had exactly 5 purposes in life, it was a great book. But I disagree. Here's my two cents: You have but one purpose in life. To Be Alive. It's not about what you do, who you know, or how much fun you are. It's about, when you're on your deathbed, can you look back and really say 'I was Alive'. Or even today, can you introspectively view your life, and say 'I Am Alive'? Are you Really living? We take what we've been given for granted so much. We don't realize how much of a gift life really is. A great man once said 'A purposeless life, is no life at all'. I know what I live for. How about you? I live for the man who said 'I've come for you to have life, and have it to the fullest'. He's given me purpose, meaning, and peace. What are you living for? Can you honestly claim to be 'Alive', in the fullest of it's meaning? I hope you reach that point. Until then, as it says in my favorite movie says, 'You either get busy living, or you get busy dying'.

My name is Jordan. I'm an audacious, tenacious, articulate teenager that Loves God and Loves People.

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is really deep and powerful. You really have such, a talent and greatness in you. Nevr stop believing that, because you do. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. 

R5andParamore BRONZE, Manalapan, New Jersey
yeah i think that to and i think thats what the author was saying

Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey

No offense write4life, but I think that is the authors point. Sure, you're alive in the most obvious sense - breathing, heart beating and all - but are you truly living life to it's fullest?

At least, that is my perspective of this article.

GiSELA SILVER said...
GiSELA SILVER, Escondido, California

Life is about doing things people said you couldn't do.

yes we all have a purpose(: But people don't seem to find it.

write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia
I really enjoyed this! I liked how you presented your perspective, but in my opinion, "there's more to living than being alive" (yes, i just quoted an anberlin song).