Beliefs On The Worlds Creation | Teen Ink

Beliefs On The Worlds Creation

March 23, 2012
By OcelotWarrior PLATINUM, Micro, North Carolina
OcelotWarrior PLATINUM, Micro, North Carolina
37 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or you can let it strengthen you.


Throughout life and history there has been different theories on how the world was created. Although people believe some of the theories, nobody truly knows how the world was created. Within each religion there is a different theory on how the world was created. Some people search for an answer on how the world was really created. Although each and every theory has people who believe it, each theory has flaws to it.

Christians believe that God created the world. In the beginning, God created the universe. At first the earth was shapeless and covered in darkness, and God's spirit hovered over the waters. God said, "Let there be light". And there was light. God divided the day from the night, naming them ' day' and 'night'. This was the first day and God saw that it was good. On the second day God made the heavens to separate the water from the earth and on the third day he raised the dry land up from the waters below the heavens and commanded the earth to bring forth all plants. God saw that it was good. God then made the greater light for the day and the lesser light for the night, and he saw that it was good. This was the fourth day. On the fifth day God commanded the waters to fill with living creatures and the air to fill with birds. And he was pleased with what he saw. On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. God then said " Let us make man in our own image". So God created man and woman in his own likeness and gave them authority over all living things. God looked at everything he had made and was very pleased. On the seventh day, God rested. Now the first man, Adam, was created by God out of soil and given life by God's breath. Adam named all the animals and birds that God had made, But Adam had no companion of his own so God caused them to fall into a deep sleep and created a woman - Eve- from one of Adam's ribs. God told them that together they could live in the Garden of Eden eating whatever they wished except the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. But the most cunning animal, which God had made -the serpent -, tempted Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. So Adam and Eve both ate and suddenly saw what they had done and those they were naked. Covering themselves with fig leaves they tried to hide from God. But God knew of their sin and called out to them. Then he cursed the serpent, Adam and Eve, and in shame they were driven from the beautiful Garden. God told Adam he would now have to toil and sweat to work the very soil from which he had been created. Then God blocked the entrance to the Garden with a great fiery sword so that no one could enter in.

Although Christian’s believe in God, there are other people who believe the Big Bang created the world. The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model that explains the early development of the Universe. According to the Big Bang theory, the Universe was once in an extremely hot and dense state, which expanded rapidly. This rapid expansion caused the young Universe to cool and resulted in its present continuously expanding state. According to the most recent measurements and observations, this original state existed approximately 13.7 billion years ago, which is considered the age of the Universe and the time the Big Bang occurred. After its initial expansion from a singularity, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow energy to be converted into various subatomic particles. It would take thousands of years for some of these particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons) to combine and form atoms, the building blocks of matter. The first element produced was hydrogen, along with traces of helium and lithium. Eventually, clouds of hydrogen would coalesce through gravity to form stars, and the heavier elements would be synthesized either within stars or during supernovae.


Furthermore, Greeks thought the world was created with the first thing that came into being was Chaos, a dark intangible element, and a kind of primeval void. This was followed by the birth of Gaia, the primordial goddess of the earth. Tartarus, followed her with hiss dim realms far below the earth, and by Eros, the god of sexual love. Without a mate Gaia bore Uranus (sky), the mountains and Pontus (sea) then Uranus mated with his mother and she bore the Titans, Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Patues, Theam, Rheo, Themis, Mneomsyne, Phoebe, Tethys, and last of all Cronus. Creation myth represents an attempt to render the universe comprehensible in human terms and explain the origin of the world. The most widely accepted version at the time, although a philosophical account of the beginning of things, is reported by Hesiod, in his Theogony. He begins with Chaos, a yawning nothingness. Out of the void emerged Gaia (the Earth) and some other primary divine beings: Eros (Love), the Abyss (the Tartarus), and the Erebus. Without male assistance, Gaia gave birth to Uranus (the Sky) who then fertilized her. From that union were born first the Titans six males: Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Oceanus; and six females: Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Rhea, Theia, Themis, and Tethys. After Cronus was born, Gaia and Uranus decreed no more Titans were to be born. They were followed by the one-eyed Cyclopes and the Hecatonchires or Hundred-Handed Ones, who were both thrown into Tartarus by Uranus. This made Gaia furious. Cronus was convinced by Gaia to castrate his father. He did this, and became the ruler of the titans with his sister-wife Rhea as his consort, and the other Titans became his court. A motif of father-against-son conflict was repeated when his son, Zeus, confronted Cronus, because Cronus had betrayed his father, he feared that his offspring would do the same, and so each time Rhea gave birth, he snatched up the child and ate it. Rhea hated this and tricked him by hiding Zeus and wrapping a stone in a baby's blanket, which Cronus ate. When Zeus was full grown, he fed Cronus a drugged drink, which caused him to vomit, throwing up Rhea's other children and the stone, which had been sitting in Cronus's stomach all along. Zeus then challenged Cronus to war for the kingship of the gods. At last, with the help of the Cyclopes, Zeus and his siblings were victorious, while Cronus and the Titans were hurled down to imprisonment in Tartarus.


According to Hindu mythology, the universe is cyclically created and destroyed. The life span of Brahma, the creator, is 120 divine years. Every day, Brahma creates 14 Manus one after the other, who in turn create and regulate the world. Thus, there are fourteen generations of Manu in one day of Brahma. Each Manu’s life consists of 71 quartets of eras. Each quartet is composed of four eras: Krita, Treta, Dvapara and Kali. The span of Krita era is 1,728,000 human years, Treta era is 1,296,000 human years, Dvapara era is 864,000 human years and Kali era is 432,000 human years. When Manu perishes at the end of his life, Brahma creates the next Manu and the cycle continues until all fourteen Manus and the Universe perish by the end of the day. When night falls, Brahma goes to sleep for a period of time equal to fourteen lives of Manus. The next morning, he begins the creation with first Manu again. The cycle goes on for 100 divine years at the end of which Brahma he perishes and is regenerated.


Although we all have different views on how the world was created; I don’t think anyone has the right theory on how the world was created. Even with all the details, there are huge flaws in every story. Christians believe God made the world, but where did God come from and if he made the world where is he to claim he made it. Atheists believe the Big Bang theory created the world, but the Big Bang violates the First Law of Thermodynamics. Greeks believe that Chaos and Gaia had kids and they had kids, its very simple in a manor but it makes absolutely no sense. Hindus believe the world has always been around and that it is created and destroyed but, who or what created the earth. With each passing moment I want to know the truth one how the world was created. Although nobody know how our world was created, there has to be something that can tell us.


The author's comments:
I wrote this article because I wish i knew how the world was created. I don't believe in any of the theories we have created throughout time.