Merry Christmas...or X-mas? | Teen Ink

Merry Christmas...or X-mas?

April 5, 2011
By rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia
rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia
12 articles 2 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney


Perhaps one of the most controversial matters, if not the most controversial matters overwhelming the United States, is religion. Religion, and matters relating to religion. Until recently, most business and educational staff felt comfortable wishing their students a “Merry Christmas; happy new year!”- but now, it’s the exact contrary. Now, school’s and company’s abide by “politically correct” terms so as not to offend someone. Now, the term is “Happy Holidays”. By requiring teachers, as well as business to do this, is violating the bill of rights, which besides the Constitution…our country is established on. The first amendment gives every person in the United States of America not only the freedom of religion, but the freedom of speech. I’m writing this to stand up and say, what is America doing? What is our country coming to, in which liberals are over-saying the bill of rights? In my opinion, saying “Merry Christmas” is not offensive to other religions- if I were to say something along the lines of “Hanukah is stupid.”, that would be discrimination. But I’m not. By saying “Merry Christmas”, I am simply expressing my way of religion- is that not what other workers across America are simply trying to say? Why can people say “Happy Ramadan”, but not “Merry Christmas”? That’s not just- that’s unfair. Next they’ll be saying it’s discriminatory for a Wiccan to say “Happy Yule” on school campus. Considering that this rule not only contradicts my rights, but also challenges my legal rights of a student on a public school campus- being that they are relative to the subject, I’d like to bring two of those rights up. I have the right not only to talk and share my religious beliefs, but also the right to celebrate religious holidays…on campus. It seems that politics have neglected to understand that…or perhaps, purposely neglected it. Does it matter if you’re Jewish? Christian? Muslim? We should all be able to express our religious beliefs as our rights suggest- and perhaps that starts through communication. So if you’re ready to stand up against this…proudly say “Happy Yule!” If you’re Wiccan. Let me hear you scream “Happy Hanukkah” if you’re Jewish-because you’ll hear me joyfully wishing “Merry Christmas”, because I’m Christian, and nothing is going to stop me.


The author's comments:
I think the article basically speaks for itself. I want to be able to express myself at school when the holidays roll around- I want to be able to say "Merry Christmas' without having a barrier. Just as other people should be able too. The US is a country of cultural diversity...so why aren't they allowing that through verbal expressions?