Merry Christmas...or X-mas? | Teen Ink

Merry Christmas...or X-mas?

By rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia
rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia

"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

Perhaps one of the most controversial matters, if not the most controversial matters overwhelming the United States, is religion. Religion, and matters relating to religion. Until recently, most business and educational staff felt comfortable wishing their students a “Merry Christmas; happy new year!”- but now, it’s the exact contrary. Now, school’s and company’s abide by “politically correct” terms so as not to offend someone. Now, the term is “Happy Holidays”. By requiring teachers, as well as business to do this, is violating the bill of rights, which besides the Constitution…our country is established on. The first amendment gives every person in the United States of America not only the freedom of religion, but the freedom of speech. I’m writing this to stand up and say, what is America doing? What is our country coming to, in which liberals are over-saying the bill of rights? In my opinion, saying “Merry Christmas” is not offensive to other religions- if I were to say something along the lines of “Hanukah is stupid.”, that would be discrimination. But I’m not. By saying “Merry Christmas”, I am simply expressing my way of religion- is that not what other workers across America are simply trying to say? Why can people say “Happy Ramadan”, but not “Merry Christmas”? That’s not just- that’s unfair. Next they’ll be saying it’s discriminatory for a Wiccan to say “Happy Yule” on school campus. Considering that this rule not only contradicts my rights, but also challenges my legal rights of a student on a public school campus- being that they are relative to the subject, I’d like to bring two of those rights up. I have the right not only to talk and share my religious beliefs, but also the right to celebrate religious holidays…on campus. It seems that politics have neglected to understand that…or perhaps, purposely neglected it. Does it matter if you’re Jewish? Christian? Muslim? We should all be able to express our religious beliefs as our rights suggest- and perhaps that starts through communication. So if you’re ready to stand up against this…proudly say “Happy Yule!” If you’re Wiccan. Let me hear you scream “Happy Hanukkah” if you’re Jewish-because you’ll hear me joyfully wishing “Merry Christmas”, because I’m Christian, and nothing is going to stop me.

I think the article basically speaks for itself. I want to be able to express myself at school when the holidays roll around- I want to be able to say "Merry Christmas' without having a barrier. Just as other people should be able too. The US is a country of cultural diversity...so why aren't they allowing that through verbal expressions?

AriShine GOLD said...
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

I agree with parts of this article. I totally understand what you say about how it should be okay to say, "Merry Christmas." People should be able to say that freely. However, try to see this in a different light. "Happy Holidays" is more curteous; it encompasses all religious holidays. I'm not Christian, but frankly, I really don't  care if you tell me "Merry Christmas." When people tell me that, though, I feel a little sad, because it's like they're assuming everyone in the world is Christian. So, going back to what I was saying, yes, you should be able to, and technically are able to, say what you want in these regards. But it is more politically correct to just say "Happy Holidays."

Thank-you! And yeah, one of the main reasons the phrase came about was to shorten it. But now, due to it's strong secular meaning, I won't even use the word 'X-Mas' in the shortened version...somehow, someway, I will find a way to cram "Merry Christmas" into that tiny space, mark my words, haha!

Jacob44 said...

I know right. How does promoting going outside in a TV show help anything, because it sort of defeats the purpose of going out side when you're sitting inside watching a show tell that you should. But the show makes it enjoyable for little kids so the kids just watch other kids outside on tv.

That's exactly right. We are actually, the most obese country in the world, and I think it's good that they're trying to take steps to eliminate some of that. But while making T.V shows about being healthy maybe motivating to a child, is it really helping lose weight? Because how many of the kids watching that show ACTUALLY go out and do what the commercial suggested? And Using T.V to campaign kind of goes against what they're saying: "DON'T SPEND TO LONG ON THE TELEVISION!!!!!!" So I'm half in half in agreement on the second part. All of it's true though!

Jacob44 said...
Also, the government has gotten so "afraid" of offending other people because they might have different beliefs than other people so the government just makes a ton of stupid laws and such. Just like children's TV shows getting "Healthy" because their afraid of our nation being overweight for years to come.

Jacob44 said...
Merry X-Mas has become a secular term, though the "x" actually means "Christ" and the Church made the term "X-Mas" so that it could be shortened on signs and such. but in the context of your  article, you mean the secular "x-mas"... and your article is really good. I'm glad there are people out there willing to defend and/or express their religion. Kudos.

on Apr. 20 2011 at 11:25 am

I do say "Merry Christmas", and no politically corret so-called "rule" is going to get in the way of my rights! Thank you for your encouraging comment, and no, I don't think I've ever heard that Christmas song...I should look it up! Thank you :)