The Log and the Tree | Teen Ink

The Log and the Tree

July 25, 2024
By Giggs123 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
Giggs123 SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Rock had dutifully sat in its place for two hundred years. It started out as a massive boulder, and small pieces chipped off as time passed. It never moved, talked, or complained. 


One day, Rock's life changed forever when a wide oak tree on top of the mountain was cut down. The tree was at least 6 yards in diameter and 75 yards tall. It had stood here for the last three hundred years. After it was chopped, the log rolled down to the foot of the hill, where it hit the Rock. 


The Rock woke up and glared at the fallen Log, and the Log glared back. This wasn’t how the Rock planned to spend his morning. Normally, he would just scowl at different objects, but the objects didn’t glare back. The Rock had spent decades in the same place and never met another object who was unmoving like him. Most of the time, he just sees rabbits, squirrels, or chipmunks. The animals would look at the massive rock—tens of times their size—marvel in amazement and then hop away.


The Log wasn’t having a good day either. It used to stare out into the forest and provide a home for many animals. It was the home and a source of food and shade for little animals. It was cut down to make room for an observatory at the top of the hill, while the Log didn’t know that. Now, he has to spend time with an unwelcoming rock.


Around noon, the fallen Log started to talk: ”Dear Rock, why do you always glare at things like that? It is very unwelcoming.”


The Rock responded: “I have sat here for years and have looked into the lives of hundreds. I  glare only because I find it interesting; besides, who are you to tell me what to do? You are just like the many short lives I see daily.”


The Log was shocked and replied indignantly: ” I have spent the same amount of time as you looking into the lives of hundreds if not thousands. But I look on the bright side. Unlike you, I enjoy my time.” 


“My disappearance is inevitable; you could have lived for any amount of time.” The Rock answered. 


“Even so, I have been cut down and do not have much time to exist,” The Log replied. “Because of death, life is valuable. If you could live forever, you would not cherish each second of life. Why be grumpy and cold when you can be joyful in your life?”


The Rock pondered this: “I never thought of it that way. I apologize for my arrogance. I will learn more of life’s wisdom from you, Mr. Log.”


After a few years, the Log had completely decomposed, but the Log’s philosophy was engraved into the Rock.


The author's comments:

Positivity is essential to a happy life.