Poverty (There Are Many Titles Like This But This One is Different) | Teen Ink

Poverty (There Are Many Titles Like This But This One is Different)

December 27, 2017
By 22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania
22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania
18 articles 2 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken -Orson Scott Card


I hear the word poverty a lot... I also see poverty a lot. I used to live in Albuqerque, NM which was the second to last most poverty-stricken major cities in America. I want to tell you that poverty is not about what you hear... that they lost their house and now they need your help to get back on their feet.

This is NOT the case. Poverty is like a genetic disease. It is a cycle. My parent are uneducated so now I am uneducated. I didn't have a dad so I needed to join a "gang" to be protected and part of a community. These kids and their parents know they want to change but they can't because they don't have the resources.

These people don't get homeless care because money from programs like Medicare and Social Security don't trickle down to the poorest and it is bad for our country and they don't benifit anyone.

How can we change this? Get some education to the children. They are the ones to realize that they can get themselves out of this cycle. If we can work together to change these people's lives we need to show them that change is possible.