Social Injustice | Teen Ink

Social Injustice

By Aidanhagerich BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia
Aidanhagerich BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia

Social Injustice is as common today as it was in the late 1800's.  Daily people are discriminated against due to race, wealth or social status.  Injustice happens in our lives so frequently that we have become immune to the injustice to individuals around us.  Even though, it is socially and politically incorrect to treat others unjustly due to race, wealth or social status, we as a society have embraced it as the norm.  These types of injustices are wrong immorally and socially.  We are all human beings with the same rights regardless of race, wealth or social status.   It is not possible for one person to change many years of injustice  but it starts with one person changing the way they perceive others.

Race is one of the many social injustices that we face everyday.  It has become very common for society to judge people on their skin color. It is done without thought or any care as to how it may affect the individual.  Many people even resent others due to their color of skin.  For example, in To Kill a Mocking Jay, Tom Robinson says "As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men everyday of your life." He says this because most of the time white people usually get what they want while blacks got the leftovers no matter what the situation is. Racism is a serious topic that has a big impact on actions of people in todays world.

Many say to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth is a representation of being born wealthy.  Although society does not admit it, many are judged due to their income level. Recently during the presidential election, the less fortunate, were referred to as "the deplorable's" by one of the presidential candidates. This is just one of many examples of injustice due to ones level of income. Being poverty stricken seems to deem you as less educated in todays society.

Your level of income determines many things in your life.  It determines who you associate with and how people view you. No matter how immoral this may be, it is the way of the world. 

Racism affects many different facets of life. Employers state they do not discriminate based on race when promoting their associates to higher paying positions. Although it is visible to many in the corporate world that race does matter.  Racial injustice is another social injustice that society overlooks. Society has tried to change but yet the statistic's show racial injustice is still as alive today as it was in the late 1800's. 

Social injustice is commonplace in todays society.  It shows itself in many forms and in various ways as well as ideas.  My upbringing taught me to be fair and not to judge. But after reading and researching it has brought to my attention, I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to social injustice.  I often make reference to basketball players race without realizing this is a form of social injustice.  After further examination of my actions as well as others around me I realize social injustice still exists today. 

I had to write this for a big grade in my english class so I thought I'd share it.