Realizing True Value | Teen Ink

Realizing True Value

By ChristopherMendez BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
ChristopherMendez BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

The elderly are old, weak, forgetful, isolated, and burdensome. These are commonly thought of stereotypes that affect our viewpoint of the elderly. “'Elderly' often carries the connotation of feeble and dependent. Which is offensive if you're not…”. As these descriptions indicate, the elderly are often viewed as a burden on society from strain on our healthcare system and social security to families supporting them. Also, American society’s obsession with youth reinforces the negative stereotypes of older people. In a society where youthfulness is important, older people become neglected and possibly dehumanized, just because they’re old.

The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button illustrates how we shun old age, while praising youth. He is born as an old man even though inside he is young, society outcasts and treats him differently just as our society treats elderly people. This is a fictional example, which carries some truth that aging people often still feel young at heart and want to stay involved.

Many of us picture old people as staying mostly at home, sitting, eating, sleeping, and having difficulty getting around. One could imagine an elderly man reclined in a chair with a bowl of chips and drink on the side while watching TV or reading the newspaper, or an elderly woman sewing or knitting. When we view the elderly as such, stereotypes form and have a negative effect on the elderly. They can feel neglected, lonely, and undervalued, yet we still do it. If a man is lonely and depressed, as a senior citizen, but lively and happy as a grandparent, he’s still the same guy. Every human being including the elderly have the right to a productive and meaningful life. When an elderly person has a more positive self-perception of aging they lived 7.5 years longer than people with negative self-perceptions about aging.A purpose such as a valuable employee or grandparent can provide this positive self-perception

With the aging of the over 70 million boomer generation, studies in the 1990’s and the early 2000’s argued for the need to change social and public policy to meet the financial and social service burdens of growing numbers of boomer generation. The expected growth of elderly from 35 million in 2000 to 80 million in 2050 was seen as potentially disabling the American economy due to the cost of long-term care for the elderly. Under these scenarios, the elderly could be seen as a burden to society.

In America, 18.5% of the population is over the age of 60, which is currently around 60 million people, that’s about the population of Italy, but get this, only 5.4% of them are placed in institutions because of physical or emotional reasons.  In reality, 20% of Americans 65 and older are not retiring, but still working. For 60%, the reason is financial, but 36% indicate it’s because they like their work or want to stay involved. Employers want to keep or hire this skilled, experienced older generation. So clearly they are adding value to the economy.

These elderly are also not so feeble and dependent. Older Americans are healthier and living longer. The average life expectancy of educated male adults over the age of 65 has increased from 78.9 in 1979, to 85 in 2011. Advancements in the medical field are helping older people stay healthier and live longer. Since the elderly will be with us longer it is important they are incorporated into society.

In the U.S., the need for double income families has become a prevalent trend. This provides opportunities for grandparents to actively aid their families and continue to be a part of society. Many continue to work past retirement and contribute to society. Even those who retire from their jobs can stay involved through volunteering in the community. The elderly have been known to serve on boards of nonprofit organizations and others are active in philanthropic (promoting the welfare of others) activities. By being involved and active in the community, the elderly can be seen as valuable, but more importantly they can feel productive and valued.

Youth is an obsession; adulthood a gratification; old age a disillusion. It’s time we throw away elderly stereotypes and pick up something new. It’s time to discard our judgements, appreciate our elderly, treat them with the respect they deserve, and  achieve social justice. Social justice that has been ignored for far too long, but the only people who can right this wrong are you, me, your friends, that guy who’s friends with your friends, kids, teenagers, adults, and anyone else who’s not an “old person”. We have the power to change the lives of humans who used to be teenagers, who used to be middle aged adults, who are now older, but still young in their hearts.

I was inspired by society and how we treat the elderly.