The Holiday Season | Teen Ink

The Holiday Season

Something about the holiday season separates itself from all the other times of the year. Whenever Christmas time rolls around I am overwhelmed with a feeling of tranquility and togetherness. There are a few key factors behind why the winter season is the most peaceful time of the year. The combination of music, family and snow all wraps together to create a feeling of community and love.

Music is one of the most emotionally influencing creations in existence. What you are feeling in a given moment can be explained by the tone of the music are listening to. As Christmas comes, so does the uplifting and spiritual music. Christmas being a religious holiday of celebration and love for your neighbors, it is easy to see why this type of music emerges in the winter. The tunes bring a feeling of acceptance that is unseen in other seasons.
The most important part of the holiday season by far has to be family. Nothing brings together family quite like Christmas. The best thing about being with family is getting to catch up on everyone’s lives in a homely environment. There is such a strong connection when you are physically with your family, especially when the opportunity to see them is rare throughout the rest of the year. Gathering together over a meal and singing Christmas carols is extremely fulfilling.

A close second to family has to be coming together with friends. There is a connection between friends that just can’t be fulfilled by family. Friends have a bond and openness that is special and should be cherished. Arguably, the most exciting time of the holiday season is the exchanging of gifts between friends. The range of possibilities for gifts is endless with friends, you never know if you'll get something silly and fun or something truly meaningful. The best way to bond with friends in the holiday season is to build the best gingerbread houses fathomable. It is always a treat to demolish the structure and enjoy the tasty creation. Hanging at the plaza and seeing all the beautiful lights creates cheerful memories that will last forever. 

The one aspect of the holiday season that is truly exclusive to the winter time is the snow! Observing the cold precipitation rain from the sky in the chilly air brings forward sensations of calmness unlike anything else. The best thing to do in snowy weather is to watch the delicate flakes land upon your hand, and then observe the unique crystal just before it melts away. Of course it wouldn't be a jolly time without building snowmen and letting your inner child free in the lawn.

Overall the holiday season is by far the greatest time of the year. Just the thought of the season brings a warm feeling in an otherwise cold and dark time of the year. Being with family and friends in a warm home while the snow falls gracefully outside is the best feeling ever. The combination of cheerful music and loved ones is present in Christmas time more than any other holiday.