Firearms: History and Future | Teen Ink

Firearms: History and Future

April 28, 2016
By R.Bruce BRONZE, Mt.Sterling, Ohio
R.Bruce BRONZE, Mt.Sterling, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

 What is a firearm? A firearm is a very important mechanism that can do many things. It can go from food to hunting, to determining the borders of countries and nations. From the second of its creation the firearm has been a critical weapon of warfare. A firearm is basically a hammer that sets off black powder, sending a deadly projectile out of it’s barrel. To operate it, you simply load it (which there are many ways to do this depending on the type), put the projectile (bullet or musket ball) in the chamber (putting the projectile in front of the hammer), and then pull the trigger (launches the hammer at the shell or musket ball). They are always needed to be kept clean and placed unloaded with the safety on (puts a lock on the trigger) where it is safe. It continues to evolve through time, from the musket, all the way to the minigun and so on.

         

The first firearm was invented in thirteenth century China by the Shun Dynasty. Although, black powder was invented in the ninth century. Black powder, or gunpowder, is the essence of all firearms, without it, the firearm would not be able to shoot any type of projectile. Without black powder, swords, axes, maces, spears, bows and arrows and so on, would still be our main weapons of warfare. This invention later transmitted all across the Middle East, Europe, and Africa. They were soon modified and black powder was used for other weapons of destruction as well, such as the pistol and the guns.
         

Almost everyone calls firearms “guns”, but guns was actually the first known as cannons mostly used in naval ships. There are many forms and types of firearms. The varieties include the rifle, shotgun, and pistol. The types of rifles are matchlock, bolt-action, three-round burst, semi-automatic and automatic. The shotgun would mostly be pump-action or semi-automatic, but it can also be bolt-action or even automatic. The pistol consists of semi-automatic, automatic, revolver, and three-round burst.
         

There are hundreds of designs for firearms, but there are still things to know about the general ways of them. A firearm’s power and size depends on the size of the bullet or shell, the bigger the caliber, the bigger the gun. A caliber is the amount of black powder contained in the shell of a bullet or just a shell. Caliber sizes go from .22 to .50mm, .22 being the least powerful (which is still fatal), and .50 being the highest, at least when it comes to being hand-held.
         

Firearms will always have an effect on society whether for the better, or worse side of things. Although many think that Americans should not be able to obtain their own personal firearms. There are only some who handle these weapons irresponsibly and even used purposely to murder others. Although, it is our American right to bear arms, and we have it for many reasons such as defense and in case of the need to rebel. While some think they will never need to use one, everyone should be educated to at least handle and operate a firearm properly. Personally, I do not use and need firearms daily, but I always make sure mine are clean, safe, and ready for emergencies. Although, almost all my ancestors have operated firearms in combat, almost all of those in my family are die-hard Marines that have served, and are currently serving our country.
         

The future of firearms and combat will be a huge change for the better, but as we get more intelligent, so do our enemies. Believe it or not, America has begun the mass production of laser firing weapons. The laser rifle is designed specifically with nuclear decommission in mind, specifically chopping up huge pieces of metal infrastructure into bite-sized bits, and while it's definitely suited for that, it has some shortcomings compared to typical rifles. Some love the idea, but in reality, it’s just downright scary. Guns and firearms will always be used in deadly ways, but if weapons start a problem, weapons will also end it.


For seven hundred and sixteen years firearms have determined the fate of many, and it will continue to do so until mankind pulls itself together. While firearms mostly have a negative impact on people, the positive side is far greater, and a lot more important. In conclusion, firearms, or socalled “guns”, will only be as deadly as its operator uses it to be. Even though firearms are definitely not the only thing that can take the lives of others. It is our responsibility not as Americans, but as humans, to know when to take a life, and when to spare one, and that has nothing to do with the physical weapons we create. Our determination is our real weapon.