Weapon or Way of Life? | Teen Ink

Weapon or Way of Life?

By wes.carle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
wes.carle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado

Since I was raised in the wilderness of the Colorado mountains and guns were pretty much a necessity and a part of my family culture, it is very hard for me to agree with this point of view that people have: Guns are only violent killing machines. For me guns are a necessary tool to have. People say that guns are dangerous. I would have to agree, they were made for killing. So most people think that only people in the military should have guns. However, and this is fact not opinion, in America's case if it weren't for everyday people owning and knowing how to use their guns there would be no America. Guns are a useful and very necessary tool to have.

I was about six when I shot a real gun for the first time . About a year and a half later I learned to handle and use one properly. When you live 200 miles off grid, with bears and mountain lions for neighbors it can get a bit scary. Many summer days my siblings and I would have to quit our outdoors fun and bolt into the house because we heard or saw a bear. My family always made sure they had a gun close by. Guns made it safe to live where we did.

Different arguments I often heard are that “guns make you a more violent and cruel person”. Parents are afraid of letting their kids shoot guns instead of being afraid that they aren't teaching their kids to shoot responsibly. “Guns make you want to kill”.

Now when I was eleven years old I had a shiny black BB gun. One day I decided to go in the back yard and just shoot around. I would set a soda can 20 yards away and target practice. Once the can got destroyed I became bored and just started trying to hit the leaves off the trees( opposite the house of coarse). I was getting pretty good taking off lots of leaves, when suddenly I heard a sharp chirping noise and a little robin fell out of the tree. I was mortified. Apparently I had wounded a bird in the wing while I was shooting at the trees, now the bird couldn't fly. I remember feeling so terrible and almost cried. Since I was eleven I didn't  really think to put it out of its misery, nor do I think I even could. So I just ran away, back to house, ashamed with tears in my eyes. Was I sad and frankly shocked at what I did? You bet, but did I give up shooting and just absolutely hate guns because of it? Not on your life. In fact it gave me a sense of responsibility and new carefulness I needed to have if I was to keep on shooting. It made me realize I had a lot of power with a gun, in a good way.

Lots of people also are appalled at all of the school and theater shootings that have been happening recently. Murderers breaking into schools and shooting them up with rifles and pistols. This is closely related to some issues people have with guns. They feel that since those innocent people were killed with guns, guns should be drastically regulated and possibly done away with. They're just a killing machine.

To me guns should not be taken away, yet nor should they be taken lightly. It takes a lot of responsibility to own a gun. I got my first gun when I was 16! And it was a .22! I guess it's hard to justify guns with all the school and Christian shootings. People have given them a bad name. But do you know one thing that might have done a good job of preventing those shooting? Guns. Teachers and staff who know how to use them and defend themselves. How does the president and many public events stay safe? Guns. What security guard doesn't have a gun? Ok a museum guard maybe. How do you think this country was united? Guns.

I wonder what would have happened if the minute men militia ( of the people, not military) didn't have guns to defend themselves at Lexington. I almost get the sense that we've earned the 2nd amendment! To me I think it's sad that if we were going by the constitution of the United States of America I wouldn't even have to be having this argument! But then again I hear of crazy people shooting three year olds in the street then realize why someone might want change.

When people hear hunting they think of taxidermy and treat as if it were a game. Professional sport hunters give actual hunters a bad name. This makes sense then if people think that guns are just killing toys.

Guns provide food and safety for people who live in the harsh wilderness or off grid. They are excellent for hunting obviously. Some people believe it or not actually still hunt for food. Now hunting for sport, that's a whole different topic that I personally don't support. But I actually happen to know a family that partly survives on hunting. And if they don't get a good hunt then food is kind of scarce for them. So I know for a fact that some people legitimately need guns. My grandparents will pay me for shooting gophers and rodents but I know that that isn't a necessity, although guns do definitely help with pest control.

Over all I'd have to say that guns are pretty beneficial if you know how to use them. They've been a huge impact in my life, and I honestly don't know if I'd be alive without the protection of our guns. So for me and many other respective gun owners, talking like guns are icky killing machines is offensive and disrespectful. The next time you feel as if you'd like to ban firearms please consider my writing teacher’s saying, “ The best gun control is a steady hand ”. In conclusion, guns are an important part of my culture and most importantly my life.

This is a story of my personal life experience, opinion of guns. My hopes is that people will maybe take a less harsh look at guns and see them for what they are.