Taking Electronics for Granted | Teen Ink

Taking Electronics for Granted

We have been given the privilege of electronic devices that many others don’t have, but we tend to take them for granted and complain about them. There are kids out there without a phone and you are here complaining about not having a “rose-gold iPhone 6s”? How ridiculous! This is all thanks to the Industrial Revolution. We have been given so many opportunities since then, that now, we don’t even know how to appreciate the hard work people go through to provide these things for us. These new inventions of electronic devices… We’ll all forget how to converse, one day. Although it may be human to think negatively and crave the better, it isn’t good for people to take in that much negativity in their daily lives. It is important not to whine about our advantages because it is unhealthy, uncivilized and not thoughtful.

According to an article written by “Stephanie Vozza” called, “Why Complaining May be Dangerous to Your Health”, a study done by Stanford University states that a half hour’s complaining each day damages your and the listeners’ brains. It also takes away neurons from the hippocampus (the part that solves problems). Who wouldn’t want to be able to solve problems? Everyone has problems and our problems need to be solved. Without the ability to solve anything, you will be stressed out and maybe even depressed. So, would you want to continue complaining about how bad your life is now?

If you were to complain about something someone worked hours to provide for you, how would they feel about your use of words? Do you think they would like it? They would feel really used and think you are a very selfish person. Be wise with your words. Who knows? THINK before you open your mouth, many say because when you do not think, sometimes you lose. Reputation wise and trust wise. What do you think about complaining now?

There are tons of people out there without the devices you have, but they are completely fine and are able to live a normal life. Think about how they don’t have the money and food to support their families, but yet they can still be happy. Did you forget to care or do you just not have a heart? They would do so much just for what you have, that phone, that iPad, that laptop. What are you doing with your life, complaining over and over while there are kids somewhere else in the world without education, food or money?!

Although complaining is not good for you and those around you, it is human nature to complain because we naturally think negatively and tend to want the better out of things. It is alright to complain as sometimes, we just want to let people know how much we are stressed out. It’s a form of negative expression that helps us express the pain and may also create friendships with those who agree. However, it would not beat the fact that people should stop complaining. Although it is human, it spreads negativity and sometimes, too much negativity. In addition, people might agree with what you are complaining about, they would get bored of the topic after a while as humans can’t stay on the same topic for a long time. I personally get bored when my friends complain about something or keep the conversation on one topic for too long.

In conclusion, taking our electronics for granted and complaining about them should be stopped because it is unhealthy, hurts people and unthoughtful, but how do we solve the problem? Things we could do to prevent the continuous complaining include having people tell you when to stop, try to stop yourself or set a limit etc. So, what do you think about complaining now?

It's about how you shouldn't complain at all about the previlege of technology we get to live in.