A Life Lacking Labels Is Limitless but Lackluster | Teen Ink

A Life Lacking Labels Is Limitless but Lackluster

March 14, 2016
By Nikki097 BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
Nikki097 BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye


There would be less war, less conflict, more of everything peaceful and good. Sometimes we don’t need to hide behind those words that just distract from the truth that we’re all human. There would be more opportunities that are equal for everyone, and no one would feel excluded. In theory. In our world that’s filled with shades of grey, that’s not possible to achieve. That’s why we display our differences so brazenly, to interrupt the dreariness of grey with the red flash of gunfire or the pinks and yellows of festivals. That’s why we live with our hyphens, our labels, our nuance, talk about them to anyone who’ll listen, write poems, books, essays about them, sing anything from ballads to pop songs about them. And in our little niches, we feel limitless. But when we mix and synthesize and mingle, we realize that the barriers appear again, like ghosts at first into brick walls. Our words can be the glue that holds the walls together or the hammer that breaks them down. Which will mine be?