Teachers: Underpaid and Underappreciated | Teen Ink

Teachers: Underpaid and Underappreciated

By Maya_Yvette BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Maya_Yvette BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Teachers set the foundation for learning in society each and every day. The fact that the most integral component of every educational system, teachers, is not given enough positive attention (or money) is an unfortunate and unfathomable fact.

It seems that more and more teachers are quitting or retiring each year. These educators are getting tired of enforcing the ludicrous rules and regulations that the Henry County School System constantly imposes on them.

It is a great shame that the people who instruct our society’s doctors, lawyers, police officers, politicians, and entrepreneurs are not paid nearly as much as they should be. Teachers are paid $27.28 per hour, and they should be paid at least $40 per hour because of all the time and work they put in.

Education is a basic requirement for all prosperous communities, yet the government still does not value the position of educators. If they did, then teachers would not be paid so little.

Neither the school board nor the school system recognizes teachers enough for the overflowing stacks of ungraded papers sitting on desks. Countless hours of tutoring, planning, grading, parent conferences, faculty meetings, and teaching those who don’t care enough to learn is not exactly included in the job description.
Teachers are constantly receiving criticism by parents, students, and the government because “there is no one else to blame.” Parents are ranked highly among those who disrespect educators the most because many do not want to admit their child is at fault for failing a class.

In addition to the adults who underestimate the power and importance of teachers, students constantly complain about teachers. What many students do not understand is how much time and effort teachers invest their careers.
There is only so much teachers can do to encourage their pupils to embrace and enjoy learning. However, one should assume that every teacher’s goal is to help all their students understand what they are learning.
It is unsurprising that many teachers today will not recommend teaching as a career because of how teachers are treated. Some students create insulting nicknames and undermine their instructors on a daily basis.
Of course there are always those who openly admire their teachers, but they are few compared to all those who hold their superiors in contempt. If we, as students, do not start giving our educators the reverence they deserve, our future childrens’ education will be in grave danger.

For many of us, educators illuminate the pathway to adulthood and success. Without teachers, the society we have now will cease to exist.

It’s past time for people to start treating their teachers with more respect and stop thinking of them as “glorified babysitters.” The majority of people in the United States did not teach themselves to read and write, so teachers are much more important than we think.

We, as Americans, students, scholars, and leaders owe our educators so much more than a simple thanks, and we can start by showing them some respect. Think of all the things you would not be able to do if it weren’t for someone showing you how to do it or explaining the concept to you.

Therefore, the next time you complain about how your teacher didn’t put a grade in the gradebook the day after an assignment was turned in, take a minute to step into their shoes. Think not of the mistakes teachers have made, but of all the success they have created. Most teachers have a normal family and a normal life, just like most of us.

I have first-hand experienced the underappreciation of teachers. Some students are highly disrespectful to their teachers and have no idea what they have to go through daily. It's already enough that teachers are not paid sufficiently for raising our future doctors and lawyers, but no one seems to care about their high-stress positions.