Texting and the English Language | Teen Ink

Texting and the English Language

Texting is what all teens use now. It’s just another way of communicating without speaking! But it does not make an impact on the English language. There are many examples of why and how it does not. Texting is just a lazy way of contacting other people.

Abbreviating is something that people use while texting. It’s just a way to shorten things up and text quicker. But that only happens in texting! No one abbreviates out loud. If they do, everyone knows they shouldn’t. Abbreviating is mainly because your lazy or want to shorten up things. Everyone understands most of all the abbreviations are used only in texting and not in the speaking language.

Certain things in texting don’t mean the same as they used to anymore. “Lol” is an overused abbreviated word. People use “lol” a lot more than they should, and not for what it really means, laughing out loud. They use “lol” just for a way to respond to messages they don’t know how to respond to. Speaking and texting are not the same at all anymore.

The two things, texting and speaking, are two very different things. When texting, punctuation and capitalization does not come automatically, but when speaking, it comes automatically. People also use texting as a lazy way to communicate. When speaking, mostly everyone uses proper grammar, unless they haven't learned it yet. In texting, they don’t worry about it because they are not trying to impress a teacher or someone else.

Texting is a very different language. We might be lost without it! But speaking and writing is something that is the opposite of texting. What do you think? Does texting make an impact on the English language?