Technology is Degrading Our Friendships | Teen Ink

Technology is Degrading Our Friendships

January 13, 2016
By epardee BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
epardee BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Is technology degrading or creating our friendships? According to many researchers and experts, though we keep in touch with friends and family online, could connecting online daily be hurting our lives? Technology has impacted both positively and negatively in our lives, such as, by predators, by relationships, and by cyberbullying.
To begin, many teens post online daily. Though posting “cute” pictures online may be fun and a great way to share information, could posting really be dangerous? By sharing information online strangers could easily collect your personal information which could be dangerous. Predators could get your home address, phone number, or even your work address. Be careful what you post online because you never know who can obtain that information and/or what they can do with that information. So technology could hurt friendships.


Next, most teens spend hours talking and texting on their phones. Phones are a great way to keep in touch with far away family and friends. According to Lauren Tarshis, experts warn that “too much online communication can get in the way of forming deep friendships.” A majority of teens would say they disagree, but think of it this way, if a man or woman proposed a marriage to you through text would you say yes? Speaking of relationships, a popular trend today seems to be breaking up and getting together in a relationship online. These relationships are examples of how online communications create less meaningful, lazy relationships.


Finally, almost every teen today has been made fun of or bullied somewhere. Lately you will notice bullying  taking place online. Bullying can occur from anonymous and public accounts. Though keeping up with family, friends, and posting yourself may be fun, there’s always a person out there hiding behind a screen, sending out that one rude comment. Studies show that suicide is the third cause of death amongst teens in the United States. In fact 20% of teens cyberbullied think about suicide; one out of every ten attempt it. So think twice before you regret saying something you shouldn’t online because you might be helping to take someone's life.


Ultimately, phones and online use has positive and negative effects on teens. Today, technology is important because it helps us in our everyday lives. Though there are downs to technology, I believe that by using technology wisely we can make phones and online use a better, safer way to communicate and help us in our everyday lives.